Pretty disappointed in Sonic

I have been craving a corndog so we went to sonic. Pulled up to the kiosk and pushed the button. Nobody came out but it did say that they got the msg that we were there. Waited 20 minutes. Pushed again... nothing.

Went through the drive through. Got food that was pretty bland.

My dumb self poked my straw right through the bottom of the foam cup. So I asked if I could get another cup and a refill.

Denied!

I realize it was my fault but any other restaurant would have not thought twice about getting me another cup and a refill.

Not impressed with sonic at all. Boo

I used to love their burgers, then they took away the choice of mayonnaise or mustard and now slop both on with ketchup to the point it only tastes like 'sauce.'

When I read the title, I thought you would be talking about...

1) The Chevy Sonic. 11 years of production without even a second gen. That was truly a disappointment.

2) The Sonic Automotive Group. Maybe you were charged a bogus fee or bought a lemon.

Instead you gave me a flashback to a fast food joint. I think they used to be called Rally's in certain parts of the USA.

If I remember right they had really good curly fries but the hamburgers were kinda meh. Also their drinks were super unhealthy.

Last edited:
Sonic has been going downhill for probably a decade as far as menu choices.

I can't even begin to guess how many of their chicken wraps I ate a decade ago. That was a really good wrap, basically like that Applebee's fajita chicken wrap. They took that off the menu. They also had good "New York" and "Chicago" hot dogs for a while, but then ditched those too and now only offer the chili dogs and "American." There was also a good chicken strip sandwich and they got rid of that too. Every now and then I still want a limeade, but their food menu was way better 10 years ago.

Instead you gave me a flashback to a fast food joint. I think they used to be called Rallye's in certain parts of the USA.

If I remember right they had really good curly fries but the hamburgers were kinda meh. Also their drinks were super unhealthy.

Checkers/Rally's. There's a new one that opened up in Manassas, VA (near here) but wow they have some problems. Slow service and cold food. And prior to that there was yet another one in Manassas, about 3 miles from the new one. That one was open for about 2 years back about 15 years ago and closed. They tore it completely down. The pad site (in a strip mall) where it was has been sitting empty ever since.

I gave the Chevy Sonic some major kudos back in the day.

Too bad the reliability was a bit spotty in the real world. Stickshift versions ended up having major issues and the model quickly became a buy-here pay-here special thanks to its rampant parts sharing with the Cruze and GM's inability to invest in its cars.

However they did manage to be the top ranked domestic compact in the Long-Term Quality Index. I think they're ranked about 10th or 12th overall.

My experience is that Sonic drive ins are hit and miss. When I lived in SC, the Sonic in our town had decent food, but they could never get an order right. Whenever we were in Rockingham, NC, we always liked to visit the Sonic there. Food was better.

When we moved to Madisonville, KY, the Sonic was good. We went there often for a light snack or desert. When we moved back to Utah, we found that Sonic had expanded all the way out here. So we tried it a few times. (I'm a slow learner, I guess.) Food was edible, but didn't taste like what I was accustomed to. Service was lousy.

So I haven't been to a Sonic in a very long time.

Last time my Wife and I stopped at a Sonic on a road trip- the burgers and side were inedible. We disposed of the food and have never stopped at a Sonic since- and don't ever plan to. Just garbage processed food.

I was craving corn dogs about a month ago and stopped at Sonic. What a disappointment! They tasted just like the frozen Foster Farms ones. I rank Sonic right up there with Jack in the box. Both their foods all taste the same to me, total blandness.

In my section of the country, all franchise fast food joints are horrible. I will avoid them all in favor of a locally owned place. I won’t go into the reasons, there are many.

In my section of the country, all franchise fast food joints are horrible. I will avoid them all in favor of a locally owned place. I won’t go into the reasons, there are many.
That's probably true most places.

Nobody expects fine dining from these places, but the quality and consistency used to be better if you just wanted a quick, edible meal.

Fast food chicken especially has become weird most places. You'd think there would just be a procedure for making it correctly like there apparently used to be, but now it's always chewy/impossible to bite through, or not quite cooked enough. Even Krystal used to have edible chicken. Surprisingly the Taco Bell fried chicken tacos I had recently were good, reminded me of the old McDonald's Snack Wraps, which were probably the best thing they ever had on their menu.

That's probably true most places.

Nobody expects fine dining from these places, but the quality and consistency used to be better if you just wanted a quick, edible meal.

Fast food chicken especially has become weird most places. You'd think there would just be a procedure for making it correctly like there apparently used to be, but now it's always chewy/impossible to bite through, or not quite cooked enough. Even Krystal used to have edible chicken. Surprisingly the Taco Bell fried chicken tacos I had recently were good, reminded me of the old McDonald's Snack Wraps, which were probably the best thing they ever had on their menu.
I've been getting the hand breaded chicken strips from Carl's Jr lately.. pretty good considering.

When they opened in the Minneapolis burbs, we tried them about 4 times. Every time we received COLD burgers. Skipped them for 3 years and tried them again. Cold burger……………Never again.

We don't have a Sonic here but for some reason the locals want one here. I don't get our fascination with mainland food chains here when we have hundreds of local restaurants here.

Back