Prestone SUV Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

The Acura people wanted to charge me $89CDN to do one of those 10-minute fuel injector cleanups as part of my 48,000 service checkup (2002 Acura RSX Type-S). They supposedly attach an aerosol can, containing the cleaner, directly onto the fuel line and run the car for 10 minutes.

Instead of that, I was thinking of putting Prestone SUV Complete Fuel System Cleaner (see link) into a half a tank (25 L) of 91 V-Power and cruising it on the highway. The Prestone SUV version treats 132 litres. Would that, in anyway, be harmful? Too concentrated? Would it work? The Prestone stuff goes for $10 CDN. Is the Prestone stuff any good?

I generally don't use any fuel additives. I have been, for the past two years, been running on Shell 91 V-Power.

I'd appreciate some comments.

Thanks!

Regards,
AJW

http://www.prestone.com/products/fuelAdditives.php

Direct to the injectors is the best way to get the fuel injectors clean, but doesn't do much for the rest of the fuel system. I think that there are cheaper known alternatives available to the Prestone stuff.

If you are interested in building a setup to connect directly to the pressure port on the fuel rail, there are a few setups around.

i got some on sale last week and threw it in the tank. after 150 miles, i have not noticed anything yet.

Over the counter products that are recommended are Techron, Gumout Regane (in a clear bottle), Redline Si-1, MMO, Lucas UCL.

Run a tank or two of one or more of those cleaners and you should be fine. Watch your gas mileage and see if you get any improvements, if you do maybe try running a per tank dose of FP, MMO or Lucas UCL.

I run on any give occasion FP60, Lucas and MMO...sometimes all at once
wink.gif
I have found that my MPG did go up slightly using these products...lately it hasn't as I have been driving a bit quicker than usual let's say...but my mpg is where it was when I wasn't using any of them...I can't imagine where it would be if I wasn't using the stuff....

Right now running Pennz Plat with 4 oz of LC 20, 4 oz of VSOT and 3 oz of Lucas UCL at every fill.....either my system is squeaky clean or it is all pooched out....I'm running ok so I'm guessing it is clean(fingers crossed)
smile.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

ajwan, MMO is cheap (as low as 9.99 a gallon), although it didn't increase my MPG, it did make the engine run smoother and possibly quieter. It also lubricates the injectors and fuel pump while preventing buildup. Its not as harsh as other adds for removing stuff, so I use it to maintain clean & smooth running.

I wouldn't use the 91 octane gas - unless - the owners manual specifies premium gas. At 48,000 miles you should not need any fuel injection cleaner.

However, if you do decide to use fuel injection cleaner I strongly recomend the Chevron Techron Concentrate or sometimes seen as - complete fuel system cleaner.

I am unfamiliar with Canadian fuel laws. Is detergent additives required in the gasoline sold their?

The Type-S requires 91 octane, and is recommended by my manual, as the engine compression is higher than the mid and base RSX.

But then again, from many other posts, 91 octane fuels contain more detergent because they have the propensity to leave more deposits than 87 octane. Hence the fuel injection cleaner.

So many options....soooooo confused......:eek:S

I'm not too sure about Canadian law regarding detergent gasolines, however, V-power is available here. I'm not to sure if that means anything though...

AJW

B-12 ( for its xylene and tolulene ) , one bottle of Techron concentrate per tank and some MMO per gallon of fuel in my WRX.

I had one of those injector cleanings done on an old rx-7 I had with varnished injectors. They would not close all the way , leaking all the fuel in the rail into the engine. It took about 20 minutes to start ususally. It actually make a quite large difference, but not a cure.

quote:

This is what I do. I buy a bottle of Prestone, Gumout or Chevron with Techron, etc. I dump it in the tank and then fill it with gas. I try to do a couple of wide-open throttle runs and don't refill the tank until it gets down to a quarter of a tank left. Works for me and the engine idles smooth again after a treatment.

Looks like I might get that chance! I'm heading up to Whistler, BC from Vancouver for a day of skiing. Here's the plan: before I go, I'll put in the Prestone Fuel System Cleaner and fill the tank to 30 L. I'll get to do some wide-open throttle runs on the double passing lanes on the way up in the morning!!!
grin.gif

I believe vpower means it is the detergent gasoline. Check out shell's website. If your motor requires the high octane and you have always used the shell v-power I would skip the fuel injection cleaner - unless - you are having symptoms which would indicate a fuel injection problem.

This is what I do. I buy a bottle of Prestone, Gumout or Chevron with Techron, etc. I dump it in the tank and then fill it with gas. I try to do a couple of wide-open throttle runs and don't refill the tank until it gets down to a quarter of a tank left. Works for me and the engine idles smooth again after a treatment.

I just bought a bottle of The SUV treatment. I figured I might try it cause it was labeled for 4k Mi treatments. If they Advertise this do you guys believe they add more to it for better cleaning or just Advertising. Also my Routine was usually adding gas treatment at fillups with Lucas fuel treatment or redline. Now I have addded a bottle of walmart Supertech fuel Injector cleaner(label saids 2500 mi use), 1000 miles before my oil change. I change my oil every 4500 mi so I then add the prestone at that time. Hopefully this will keep my system clean because I do this mostly for Preventive maintanece.... Sorry it I worded all this very confusingly!!!...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back