Prestone Cor-Guard Universal Coolant instead of OEM Asian Coolants?

Ford recently replaced Motorcraft Premium Specialty Green (concentrated form of Mazda FL-22) with a new yellow coolant, Motorcraft VC-13-G:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/FCSD Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0nhgEBJ0C-zscnp_CzScE7ipGKQIFr_Z6wojPZcKKqZOhJv5yDr33_lFE

Although it is unconfirmed, there is a strong suspicion that VC-13-G is the same as Prestone’s Cor-Guard All Makes/Models coolant. Ford’s TSB for the Transit van heater core issue (#18-2172) called for using Prestone Cor-Guard coolant in place of the factory fill; the same TSB was recently updated (#20-2053) to use VC-13-G.

Mazda FL-22/Motorcraft Premium Specialty Green was supposed to be similar in chemistry to the OEM Asian Coolants. Basically, it was a long-life OAT coolant containing phosphates.

Since Ford is deeming their new yellow coolant (which is Prestone IMO) to be a suitable replacement for FL-22/Premium Specialty Green, wouldn’t it make sense to use Prestone as a replacement for Asian coolants on out-of-warranty vehicles? The Prestone product is newer technology, less expensive and allows for consolidation of inventory.

Last edited:
I believe you are correct about this ^^^^^^^

I used Prestone with Corgard in my Nissan Altima VQ... Had no real issues at all.

And that coolant is in my lady's 98 Camry too. It's been in there for 2 years now and been just fine.

My car's radiator did develope a leak on the lower right side of the radiator a in Feb 2017. But.. I strongly believe that was related to a drive over a kinda big tree going that happened in Jan 2013.... A evidently blind or drunk or both champion driving in front of me on Denbigh Blvd at 0100 am evidently Ray Charles missed a downed tree from a noreaster storm that was ongoing at that time. That world champion darted hard to the left and by the time I saw the tree I was pretty much there... Going 35 mph. In Feb 2017 that leak happened, the coolant filler neck on the right side of the car was cracked and replaced, right side motor mount was replaced, right side shock/strut replaced, right side tie rod replaced... Everything was on the right side. Which was where the tree was the thickest side was. When that event happened I did pull over and do a redneck check on it. No leaks... No noticeable tire rubs or issues... So drove on home. The next day I did discover the fog light had been ripped out and a small half inch crack in the front valence of the car. Replaced the bulb in the fog light and 200 mph taped the light into it's place. Noticed the frame rail on the lower right side had been flattened from that event. I believe that incident did cause the issue with the radiator that had to be repaired 4 years later.

of course it’ll work either mixed or fresh fill. Prestone is ideal for pretty much anything except in applications that call for silicates.

of course somebody will go about how a certain ingredient eats silicone and solder (lol)

Last edited:
I just did a complete flush and fill with Prestone Corquard on our Frontier with the VQ40. Seems to like it just fine. I like it because it's readily available at Walmart and priced right too,

of course it’ll work either mixed or fresh fill. Prestone is ideal for pretty much anything except in applications that call for silicates.

of course somebody will go about how a certain ingredient eats silicone and solder (lol)
The automakers have been going away from Pb/Sn solder - Cor-Guard was created to protect controlled atmosphere brazed heat exchangers. I’m kinda worried about silicone since the original Dex attacked the nylon-silicone IMGs on the GM 3100/3400 and Vortec 4.3/5.7L engines.

The newer silicone RTVs/FIPG can withstand 2-EHA and other organic acids in today’s coolants.

Just saw this at Walmart.

7699B290-F6F3-4C05-BB9C-E6BF0650CD02.jpeg
41574A30-4C58-4D2D-9A27-831A3F7A8970.jpeg

The automakers have been going away from Pb/Sn solder - Cor-Guard was created to protect controlled atmosphere brazed heat exchangers. I’m kinda worried about silicone since the original Dex attacked the nylon-silicone IMGs on the GM 3100/3400 and Vortec 4.3/5.7L engines.

The newer silicone RTVs/FIPG can withstand 2-EHA and other organic acids in today’s coolants.

Are you implying that cor-guard might attack silicones?

Im kind of curious to see if Prestone will push the Cor-guard into their Dexcool offering. Not sure if its possible to maintain licensure though...

Are you implying that cor-guard might attack silicones?

Im kind of curious to see if Prestone will push the Cor-guard into their Dexcool offering. Not sure if its possible to maintain licensure though...
Cor-Guard is at its core 2-EHA and sodium neodeconate.

The issues with Dex-Cool was that it attacked the IMGs on the “wet” intakes GM used on the 3.1/3.4L car V6s and the truck 4.3/5.7L Vortec engines, and a few issues with the 3800s that led to Fel-Pro releasing a steel-backed gasket with fluoropolymer sealing elements. Which eventually, GM adopted. The OEM gasket was a PA66/GF33 gasket with silicone sealing beads. The original gasket would fail with prolonged exposure to Dex.

with a silicone RTV/FIPG that can withstand organic acids, Dex ain’t a problem. Toyota curiously enough calls for a special RTV called FIPG 1282B for exposure to “super long life” coolant. It’s a ThreeBond product. But dealer techs will keep on using FIPG 103, which is ThreeBond 1207B approved for “long life” coolant use, but Toyota’s pink coolant(as well as the blue Honda/Nissan/Subaru fill) and Dex-Cool are considered “super long life” coolants.

Ford recently is using a similar gray RTV as the Japanese OEMs. I forget the ThreeBond number but it’s related to Honda’s Ultra Flange and Nissan’s FIPG.

Cor-Guard is at its core 2-EHA and sodium neodeconate.

The issues with Dex-Cool was that it attacked the IMGs on the “wet” intakes GM used on the 3.1/3.4L car V6s and the truck 4.3/5.7L Vortec engines, and a few issues with the 3800s that led to Fel-Pro releasing a steel-backed gasket with fluoropolymer sealing elements. Which eventually, GM adopted. The OEM gasket was a PA66/GF33 gasket with silicone sealing beads. The original gasket would fail with prolonged exposure to Dex.

with a silicone RTV/FIPG that can withstand organic acids, Dex ain’t a problem. Toyota curiously enough calls for a special RTV called FIPG 1282B for exposure to “super long life” coolant. It’s a ThreeBond product. But dealer techs will keep on using FIPG 103, which is ThreeBond 1207B approved for “long life” coolant use, but Toyota’s pink coolant(as well as the blue Honda/Nissan/Subaru fill) and Dex-Cool are considered “super long life” coolants.

Ford recently is using a similar gray RTV as the Japanese OEMs. I forget the ThreeBond number but it’s related to Honda’s Ultra Flange and Nissan’s FIPG.

That was kind of the point Imwas getting at. Cor-Gard is 2-EHA... but Dex issues have all but been resolved (I own a 4.3 with a replaced LIM gasket)...

So is there some other new issue or concern? Prestone is a longer life rated coolant than Dex, and they say it won’t void warranty. Perhaps they’ve found a way to make it more stable? Or is this a blanket statement for newer cars, based upon embedded assumptions, which could be dire for older cars?

Never knew Ford used Green I thought that was Hyandai-Kia because that’s what my grandmas Kia takes. Both my Fords have the standard old school light green/yellow stuff in it

So is there some other new issue or concern? Prestone is a longer life rated coolant than Dex, and they say it won’t void warranty. Or is this a blanket statement for newer cars, based upon embedded assumptions, which could be dire for older cars?
I’m leaning towards that - Prestone Cor-Guard will be OK, if not “exact” for the coolant chemistry in newer cars. The main exceptions being G-48 used by BMW/Mercedes/Tesla and G-40 or whatever is the latest and greatest VW is using.

I’m leaning towards that - Prestone Cor-Guard will be OK, if not “exact” for the coolant chemistry in newer cars. The main exceptions being G-48 used by BMW/Mercedes/Tesla and G-40 or whatever is the latest and greatest VW is using.
G40 is being replaced by G65, a Phosphated + Silicated OAT coolant. By design VW cooling systems have to resist modern organic acids ever since the adoption of G12 in 1995. Everybody but the Asian manufacturers have fielded a coolant with 2EHA as an active additive.

G48 is the odd man out simply because it’s the last borated coolant in active service (Tesla).

G40 is being replaced by G65, a Phosphated + Silicated OAT coolant. By design VW cooling systems have to resist modern organic acids ever since the adoption of G12 in 1995. Everybody but the Asian manufacturers have fielded a coolant with 2EHA as an active additive.

G48 is the odd man out simply because it’s the last borated coolant in active service (Tesla).
G-05 was also borated too - borates were used in HD coolants for wet liner protection on OTR diesels.

speculation has it that the borate and silicates in G-05 are causing the EGR coolers to plug up on the 6.0/6.4L PSDs.

VW’s recent choice of G-65 should be interesting. The Europeans shun phosphates due to their water but most of not all OEM coolant is now 50/50 premix when purchased at the dealer for service fill and the OEMs probably have IBCs with the proper mix shipped to the factories for assembly line fill.

So OK to use this for Honda/Acura then?

Yes, absolutely. An added bonus is that since Prestone Cor-Guard (and many other AMAM coolants) use a very neutral dye colour, so if you add if to the original Honda Type 2 coolant it will stay the factory blue color.

So OK to use this for Honda/Acura then?

I’d argue no, as mentioned above, the Asian manufacturers haven’t yet fielded a 2-EHA coolant yet, so I wouldn’t buck the trend without significant evidence.

Maybe they don’t use any of the more sensitive materials, or have any concerns. But I can’t say that and they aren’t either.

I’m seeing no real reason not to stick with Honda or the Zerex Asian blue.

Never knew Ford used Green I thought that was Hyandai-Kia because that’s what my grandmas Kia takes. Both my Fords have the standard old school light green/yellow stuff in it

Specialty Green was for their Mazda based offerings and was Asian green similar to Hyundai/Kia, Subaru and Mazda's own offering. As the Ford-Mazda partnership has been severed it's not surprising they replaced it with Yellow.

Back