pressure washer storage-mineral oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend recomended a solution of 50-50 mineral oil and rv antifreeze for using in my pressure washer pump for storing. Where can I get a gallon of this and what variety should I use ??
I would think it needs to be water soluable. I have a few p/w's to maintain. Thanks

For the last 15 years here is what I do to store the my pressure washer pump. I made a small hose (male attachment from an old hose) that attaches to where you feed water to the pump. I put a funnel in it and pour green anti freeze in it. Pull the starter cord with the engine in the off position until the AF comes out the pump outlet. Then I take the hose fold it in half, and clamp it with a hose clamp so nothing drips out. My current machine is 15 years old and has been stored that way w/o issue in freezing cold temps.

As a side note, I drain the pump oil and refill it with fresh oil at the end of the season, before I fog the engine and put it away.

I use a straight 30 grade non-detergent oil, I've done so with this machine for 15 years w/o issue.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I use a straight 30 grade non-detergent oil, I've done so with this machine for 15 years w/o issue.

CAT pump?

I have about 2 gallons of Green AF in the garage, it takes very little to run it through the machine. I would imagine any anti-freeze would work.

It's not a cat pump, not sure who makes the pump. If I had the machine here I would check the pump brand, I lent it to one of my guys.

The pump is a direct drive pump, not belt driven. 30wt non detergent oil was suggested when I bought the machine 15 years back, vs. a more expensive re-labeled pump oil. The only problems I had with it was the Honda tank rusted out, and last year the carb let go. It was more cost effective to buy a new carb than play around rebuilding the old one. As far as the gas tank goes. I welded a bracket to the handles used for pushing the machine around, and attached a tank there. The Honda gas tank was too much money!

As others have stated just use a 30wt non detergent oil in the pump, non detergent because you don't want the impurities to be suspended in the oil since it's not filtered.

I would recommend running the machine with the gun attached and letting it either suck in the anti freeze or feed it through with gravity from a container above the head hooked up with a hose. I use RV antifreeze in all of mine. The reason you want to run it through with the gun is so that you can release the trigger and have it run through the unloader as well otherwise you run the risk of it freezing.

I bought my Karcher at the Exxon Valdez cleanup auction in 1991, so I've kept it running in Alaska for 18 years. It's very important that the water in the heating coils not freeze. So, on ~Sept 15, I put it inside the garage. That's not very complicated.
I run Delo 400 in the oil system.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back