Premium Guard PG111 - HPL Engine Flush Oil Results

If you had seen deposits in the engine before the flush, roughly how much and where? Is it reasonable to assume previous oil was usually not synthetic? Did the car make a lot of short trips per oil change?
If the car made a lot of short trips, the oil never got hot enough for a synthetic oil to help with any high-temp properties.

RDY4WAR

If you had seen deposits in the engine before the flush, roughly how much and where? Is it reasonable to assume previous oil was usually not synthetic? Did the car make a lot of short trips per oil change?

I took a look inside the engine with a borescope before using this oil. I found a lot of varnish but very little sludge. There was only a small amount in the lifter valley.

The engine had/has an oil consumption issue where it would be down 0.75-1 quart at 3k miles when she'd roll it into Jiffy Lube or Walmart Lube Center. During the oil change with the flush oil, it was consuming about the same rate for the first 1,500 miles and then slowed down. It was 1 quart down at 5k miles when I changed it. Given these results with the high amount of crud in the filter, I'm thinking there was a good bit of oil coked around the rings (likely from inferior, volatile base oils) that was causing the consumption and was cleaned up a bit by the flush oil. I have a feeling this engine still needs more cleaning.

She's always gone with the cheapest option which is likely conventional though she said she did get synthetic "a couple times when there was a special."

Her work commute is short at just 3 miles each way. She drives out to our house once a week about 40 miles each way.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I took a look inside the engine with a borescope before using this oil. I found a lot of varnish but very little sludge. There was only a small amount in the lifter valley.

The engine had/has an oil consumption issue where it would be down 0.75-1 quart at 3k miles when she'd roll it into Jiffy Lube or Walmart Lube Center. During the oil change with the flush oil, it was consuming about the same rate for the first 1,500 miles and then slowed down. It was 1 quart down at 5k miles when I changed it. Given these results with the high amount of crud in the filter, I'm thinking there was a good bit of oil coked around the rings (likely from inferior, volatile base oils) that was causing the consumption and was cleaned up a bit by the flush oil. I have a feeling this engine still needs more cleaning.

She's always gone with the cheapest option which is likely conventional though she said she did get synthetic "a couple times when there was a special."

Her work commute is short at just 3 miles each way. She drives out to our house once a week about 40 miles each way.

But remember, we've been told Supertech is just as good as Mobil 1....

The API approvals, particularly historically, haven't set the bar very high. When you get into the Euro stuff, that's where the playing field gets levelled because the limits are so much more strict, the tests that much more difficult and subsequently the bar astronomically higher. That's evident even in just the basic specs like Noack.

I've seen inside the valve covers of our 5.7L HEMI's at work on NAPA bulk 5w-20 (Valvoline). They look nothing like my Mobil 1 engines, which are on much longer OCI's. Yes, anecdotal, but you see enough of the same or similar engines run on different lubes it's pretty easy to discern that there's a difference between the tiers of what's on the shelf.

The ratio is 1 quart of flush to 5 quarts of oil.

The level of ester is safe at that ratio so there would not be a frequency issue. The need to clean again would be relative to how clean the oil you run is. If you are running Mobil 1 you will likely be in good shape.

I do not believe there would be any issues with our choice of ester and RTV.

Thank you for the questions.

David
Is that one quart of flush and 4 quarts of oil in an engine that takes only 5 quarts? Or do I need to calculate a ratio based on a 6 quart capacity?

RDY4WAR

Is that one quart of flush and 4 quarts of oil in an engine that takes only 5 quarts? Or do I need to calculate a ratio based on a 6 quart capacity?

Use one quart for replacement for a sump capacity of 5 quarts or higher. If it's an 8 quart sump, still one quart is fine. Keep it around 10-20% of sump capacity.