Premature (?) VCG failure, 75k miles, toyota 1MZ-FE

Vehicle is Lexus ES300 2002, now with 323k miles. I last did the VCGs at 248k right at five years ago. Just started leaking after 75k on the gasket(s).

The car uses about 1/2qt of oil every 7.5k OCI (which I find remarkable for a 320+k engine! - and that has never changed, really). It's now 1k before next change (e.g., 6,500 into OCI) and I checked the dipstick and it was down to the "add" line. Never seen that before, except when the gaskets leaked. There had been an oil spot under it which I attributed to a leaking PS return hose (known problem on these) which I was postponing until next summer. Now I realize it was oil, too, as I stuck my hand carefully/awkwardly back and confirmed it is in fact now leaking from the spot they normally do - the bank 1 front corner, which is bang on the firewall and gets no air flow.

The car had no leak prior to a month or two ago - last time I checked the oil. usually the gaskets are good for about 150k; I checked my records and I used Fel-Pro VCGs last time and nothing suspect. The only thing different is that the car has been sitting a lot since COVID, only has done 4k mi since March vs. the normal 18 to 20k it does annually. Oil is Mobil 1 10w-30 HM with a few ounces of Lubegard Biotech/blue.

This set of gaskets was installed properly and good quality. Wondering why it's leaking again sooner than normal?

I will kick this can down the road until next summer and do the gaskets, timing belt, ps hoses, etc. all at once in a nice long weekend of pain. This car still looks good and drives wonderfully, so it's going to stay around with someone in the family a long time still, I think.

Hard to say.

The quality of the gaskets is definitely a variable - Fel Pro has not been great in recent years.

Were all of the bolts torqued to spec, or were they just impacted on?

Were the areas needing rtv properly cleaned (e.g. no scratches) and rtv applied?

75K is longer than any OEM powertrain warranty or shop warranty, so be proud of that.

5 years and 75k isn't that bad :)

I don't think I'd do a 7500 mile OCI in a 97+ 1MZ, though!

Get the Mahle valve cover gasket set

Yes, the installation was correct and done well, and torque even re-checked after the gaskets set in. (I did it, not farmed out). I usually like to do a third torque check on pans/covers/gaskets like this after heat cycling, but because of the need to strip the whole intake off again to do that, I didn't get to do that on the back bank.

I understand some people would be concerned about that, but this has the revised VC design on later models (I think it was 02+ that got that). Also, lots of UOAs support that OCI in this engine with that robust of an oil. And clearly, this car has loved it for a lot of miles! ;)

I will look at a better gasket set next time, like Mahle or similar, I guess. Fel Pro has always been a-ok with me for 40 years; sorry to hear things aren't as they used to be, reportedly.

5 years and 75k isn't that bad :)

Get the Mahle valve cover gasket set
Their gaskets are always 50/50 for me, both with the Mahle brand and Victor Reinz. Filters are excellent of course.

Fel-Pro has never ever let me down and always well priced.

Yes, the installation was correct and done well, and torque even re-checked after the gaskets set in. (I did it, not farmed out). I usually like to do a third torque check on pans/covers/gaskets like this after heat cycling, but because of the need to strip the whole intake off again to do that, I didn't get to do that on the back bank.

I understand some people would be concerned about that, but this has the revised VC design on later models (I think it was 02+ that got that). Also, lots of UOAs support that OCI in this engine with that robust of an oil. And clearly, this car has loved it for a lot of miles! ;)

I will look at a better gasket set next time, like Mahle or similar, I guess. Fel Pro has always been a-ok with me for 40 years; sorry to hear things aren't as they used to be, reportedly.

Did you use new OEM fasteners? Did you meticulously clean surfaces with alcohol or acetone? Did you apply FIPG per FSM instructions? Did you use OEM gaskets? Did you remove and reseal half moon plugs?

Their gaskets are always 50/50 for me, both with the Mahle brand and Victor Reinz. Filters are excellent of course.

Fel-Pro has never ever let me down and always well priced.

The Mahle in this case is made in Japan and is probably a reboxed OEM gasket

Did you use new OEM fasteners? Did you meticulously clean surfaces with alcohol or acetone? Did you apply FIPG per FSM instructions? Did you use OEM gaskets? Did you remove and reseal half moon plugs?

Yes to all of the above. To repeat a 3rd time, it was properly done. ;)

Use OE gaskets.....Fel-Pro seems hit & miss with Japanese makes. Are you sure it's the VCG? I've seen the Cam Sensor seals spring leaks on high mile 1MZ's

Back