Preferred DVD Format for Data Backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWS

Is there a preferred DVD Format for Data Backup? I am only interested in data backup on a one-time recordable, 4.7G DVD, so my options are DVD-R or DVD+R. I need to buy a new spindle of blanks, and I observe that both formats seem to be equally available, cost the same, hold the same amount of data, etc. For my data backup purposes, I really don't care about write speed, which is typically 15 minutes for 4.1G of data. Note that I have successfully backed-up my data with both DVD-R and DVD+R disks. Both of these types are successfully read by other computers that I use. So now in 2007, are both of these formats equally mature so that it has become a non-issue? Or is one format going to be preferred in the future, and I just can't see that yet from what is offered in the stores today? Is there a data longevity benefit to one format vs the other?

Note that I buy a small spindle about every 2 years, so this is something that I don't have a lot of recent data about.

I have performed a search on the web on this topic and found that most sites are discussing the new DVD-HD formats, streaming video, compatibility with DVD players, etc, with barely any mention of my limited application.

Thanks for your help!

From what i've read they're both pretty much identical, with DVD+R having a small edge in some areas that don't really matter that much. I'd go with them for the #@$%! of it, unless -r is cheaper.

+R has lossless linking for on the fly video recording.... other than that, whetever is easy to find.

i currently back up all my data on +R disks because they burn a bit faster.

Whatever won't fall apart (physically).

Some of the cheap cheap media, you can scratch the coating very easy, rendering the disc useless.

it really doesnt matter anymore which format you choose. pretty much everything is compatible with + and -.

just get the cheapest brandname media you can find.

can i ask why you do not choose a external drive for backing up?

Why not use the DVD+RW? Have 2 sets and alternate them for backups. This is more efficient that throwing away one timers all the time.

Wow, thanks for the responses! At work and home, I have a PCs with DVD Burners, so that's all I ever thought to use. I back-up about once / month and the data I back-up is about 4.2GBytes, so it fits nicely on 1 DVD.

I don't know much about external drives - I will look at them soon.

DVD+RW backup strategy is interesting, but I heard several years ago that they can be unreliable. That's probably not true anymore, if it ever was. Note that I keep my backups several years, and some old projects I keep only on DVD.

I know what you mean about varying quality of the media. When I am ready to discard a CD or DVD I use an exacto knife to scratch it on the top (painted) side. Then I typically fold it over to see if it will break. The cheap no-name brands are easily scratched, and will break when folded the first time. The Memorex brand seems to be much more durable. I have to bear-down with the exacto knife to scratch it and I have folded several of them over to where the edges touch and they spring-back flat! I had to repeat that several times to induce a warp. They showed no sign of breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back