Prefered oil for the Mustang 3.7 Ti-VCT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm brand new here to this forum, so I haven't had much time to look around. Please forgive me if this topic has been covered already, and feel free to direct me onto a thread discussing it if possible.

I own a 2011 Mustang 3.7 V6. It came from the factory with Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic. These engines seem to be prone to a ticking problem caused by inadequate oiling in the upper valvetrain. Mine is not as bad as some other folks are claiming because mine is most noticeable at cold start-up, and then not very noticeable when warm (although it is still there). I ran the semi-syn for the first oil change interval and then changed it to Pennziol Platinum 5W-20. This made an instant difference in the noise level! There is almost no cold start noise and it is now barely noticeable when warm.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the 3.7 Ti-VCT, and if so what brand/weight of oil do you recommended. I am looking to prevent as much damage as possible (Ford had once said that this will not do any damage, but I'm a little nervous about that statement) until Ford can provide me with their "fix".

man my 5.4 with vct used to make alot of noise at start up, but after the first time i ran marvel mystery oil it quit. i think it was just build up in the lash limiters and tensioner. if you run MMO you will need to do it at 20% with a 5/30 because it thins some. example 1 quart MMO with 4 quarts oil.

if thats not your game try running Pennzoil Ultra, its great at cleaning and will surely get any varnish out of the tensioner of lash limiters.

and if all else fails step up to a 5/30.

and make sure you are running a quality filter with a good anti drain back valve like a motorcraft or pureone

OH AND
welcome2.gif

WELCOME TO BITOG

I know that this is an old thread but I never did update my findings after trying a handful of different oils to try to alleviate the cold ticking issue. As mentioned in my original post; the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 took away most of the noise but not all of it. I can say with confidence, after using it now for about seven years and 188,000 Km, that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 (formerly labeled as just 'Pennzoil Ultra') completely took away the noise once warmed up, and almost completely got rid of the cold start tick. It has to be really cold out (like -25C and below) to cause any noticeable ticking during the first half a minute or so after start-up.

This oil was one of the most expensive oils available to me so luckily my local Canadian Tire store started carrying the Ultra Platinum a few years ago. I can now get it on sale for as low as around $33 per 5L jug, so I try to pick up two at a time. Most folks tell me that I'm wasting my money on oil that expensive, but as mentioned, after years of use I can honestly say that in my vehicle it makes a BIG difference in how it starts, runs, and how many Kilometers I can put on it before it starts to break down. For my application the Ultra Platinum 5W-20 is hands down the best oil that I've ever used. The only other oil that I tried that even came close to the Ultra Platinum was the Royal Purple HPS 5W-20. Unfortunately the Royal Purple HPS is ridiculously expensive for me to buy. I can't even buy it around my neck of the woods. I purchased the HPS through Amazon.ca and I paid over $85 for 6 quarts, which was on sale for over 50% off from it's regular price! I'd still buy the Ultra Platinum even if the HPS was as cheap or cheaper.

Anyways, hopefully this information can be useful to other 3.7L Cyclone owners out there that still have an issue with the cold start tick and haven't had the Ford "fix" yet. I opted to not have the fix done to mine and it would seem that Ford was right in figuring that the cold tick wouldn't actually cause any damage to the engine, as I haven't had any other issues related to the oil or the oiling system.
grin.gif

If you want to use Royal Purple HPS oil buy it from eBay. Most sellers will ship to Canada for free. I was able to get it on eBay for $96 for a case of 12. Now eBay offers special discount codes and 2 weeks ago I was able to use their 20% discount and get RP HPS for $77 for 12 pack.

Thanks OP. Personally I never noticed an engine tick on my wife's 2011 V6 Mustang but it's moot now that someone pulled out directly in front of her from a parking lot this week while she was going 40 mph (the speed limit) on a road with a concrete median on her way to work. I ran National (Pinnacle) 5W-20, QSUD 5W-20, and Havoline Pro DS 5W-20 in it over the years. Only lubrication issue was a NAPA PS oil filter with cockeyed combo valve that dragged on the mounting nipple when I removed it, No telling how long it had been bypassing. That ended me purchasing any more oil filters with combo valves.

We're currently looking at 2017 V6 Mustangs as potential replacement so I'll keep your experience in mind if we run into such a problem. I found a new 2017 V6 Mustang still on the lot near here.

I ran some RP HPS in my nissan (super cheap buy) and i noticed more ticking right away. previously ran PP 5w-30 exclusively. Im going to back PP. just something i noticed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back