Precision Tune Autocare ad about the oil light

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has a picture of the universal icon for low oil pressure, with the caption:

It's not a genie lamp. You only wish you could ignore it.

Below that it says:

When your vehicle's oil light turns on, your vehicle is trying to tell you something. "Ignore me" isn't it. So the next time you see the light, bring your vehicle to our certified technicians at Precision Tune Auto Care for a top quality oil change.

------

This is really making me wonder..how common is it that people wait until the oil pressure warning light comes on to start thinking about their vehicle's maintenance????

Probably more common than you would like to think.
So instead of telling the customer to do the right thing (stop driving and add a few qts of oil) they say keep driving it and come in for an oil change? Yea, sounds like a place I would like to go.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
This is really making me wonder..how common is it that people wait until the oil pressure warning light comes on to start thinking about their vehicle's maintenance????

very common with women. heard alot of friends that said their wives told them. the oil lite is on. the hubby ask when did it come on. the wifey says oh 3 weeks ago
pat.gif
. I am not saying all women. as I know a few that gets down and dirty under their vehicles. but these that put make-up on in the rearview mirror. while driving down the interstate. are the ones I worry about. also more and more men are ignoring the light too. think we are to dependant on shops to do all our work on our vehicles and car manufacturers are making vehicles harder and harder to work on. I had a friend tell me about the LT-1 motor in the Z-28. that theres one plug thats a real pain in the rear to replace.

the oil light is just like the check engine light. most peopel ignore it
nono.gif
and then complains about their vehicles getting poor gas mileage or engine is shot.

I ran into this last night. Went to visit an ex girlfriend. Babysitter borrows ex's car to run an errand, calls a few minutes later and says the oil light is on. My ex says, don't worry, it's been on for a while now.
twak.gif
crushedcar.gif

So I check the oil, guess what? None in there!

This ignorance ANGERS the living spit out of me. Thank Jeebus I never married her.

There's so darn many dashboard lights on cars nowadays its not surprising people ignore them.

In the old days, any light meant "big trouble". Now lights like "service engine soon" (define "soon") make people ignorant of the ones that really matter. Car makers really need to make it obvious which lights are just informational and which are the real deal.

That's not to mention the lights that are just little pictures that probably most people wouldn't even know what the picture is referring to.

Actually, they do. The service engine soon light is almost always an orange/yellow light.

The low oil pressure light is almost always a red light.

Orange/yellow = caution
Red = STOP!

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
It's no wonder cars are loaded with sensors and electronics to tell people when their oil needs to be looked at or when their tire need air and a whole bunch of other goodies.

How about the latest BMW commercial that shows how 'smart' their cars are by calling the owners to tell them their car needs service?

Yep. BMW's new 3 series (E90) no longer has an oil dipstick, there is an onboard electronic oil level monitoring system.

In addition, the transmission fluid is considered lifetime fill, and the tranny is sealed. Also, forget about brake inspections. The Service Interval Indicator now monitors the condition on the brake pads.
shocked.gif

Mike

That ad gives me the impression that Precision Tune Auto Care doesn't know much more than how to remove a drain plug.

I just finished reading the October Carguide magazine in which they give the following winter readiness recommendation:

"Use a low viscosity oil, ideally a 5-W-30, which is thinner or runs more freely at low temperatures, and thickens somewhat as the engine (and oil) heats."

pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
That ad gives me the impression that Precision Tune Auto Care doesn't know much more than how to remove a drain plug....

Precision Tune has done excellent mechanical work (not just oil changes) for me in the past. I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with them.

I will admit that even the sharp mechanic that I dealt with at PT looked less than intelligent, but he sure knew how to work on a car. Never tried to over-sell me on anything either.

The only downside to the PT that I used to do business with is that the owner died & soon after his death, that particular store closed.....It's a budget brakes store now.

It's no wonder cars are loaded with sensors and electronics to tell people when their oil needs to be looked at or when their tire need air and a whole bunch of other goodies.

How about the latest BMW commercial that shows how 'smart' their cars are by calling the owners to tell them their car needs service?

quote:

Below that it says:

When your vehicle's oil light turns on, your vehicle is trying to tell you something. "Ignore me" isn't it. So the next time you see the light, bring your vehicle to our certified technicians at Precision Tune Auto Care for a top quality oil change.

------

More common than you'd belive.I've had many women tell me that the red light means it's "time for an oil change"
shocked.gif
!

"Lady driven" usually means an ABUSED CAR LOL!

quote:

Originally posted by kingrob:
I ran into this last night. Went to visit an ex girlfriend. Babysitter borrows ex's car to run an errand, calls a few minutes later and says the oil light is on. My ex says, don't worry, it's been on for a while now.
twak.gif
crushedcar.gif

So I check the oil, guess what? None in there!

This ignorance ANGERS the living spit out of me. Thank Jeebus I never married her.

Are we really being fair here? My wife is similarly "care free" concerning the underhood goings-on in her Sequoia, but as you can see from our posted UOA on that vehicle, it has been very well cared for (by me, of course). Since we seem to be assuming that women should be as enthusiastic about car care as most of us are, are you as enthusiastic about getting to work in the kitchen and laundry room???
wink.gif
cheers.gif

EDIT: Back on point, the Precision Tune ad is complete idiocy. It is consistent with the attitude and know-how I've seen in the few times I've tested the water in one of their shops. No thanks!

Does anyone know at what point the BMW service thing kicks in? Is something actually analyzing the oil, or is it the ol' 3K mi OCI mantra? My 1993 Volvo had some dash light that came on every 3K mi....

quote:

Originally posted by methusaleh:
Does anyone know at what point the BMW service thing kicks in? Is something actually analyzing the oil, or is it the ol' 3K mi OCI mantra? My 1993 Volvo had some dash light that came on every 3K mi....

BMW has a Service Interval Indicator which is based upon fuel consumption IIRC, unlike GM's which is based upon a complicated computer algorithm to determine the oil life.

However, the electronic oil level indicator is something totally different, as it indicates the level of the oil.

Mike

It implies the opposite of what the intent of the ad was. It "normalizes" the behavior of waiting for the light. A bad thing, when the intro sentence is a friendly warning.

it does happen way more than many people believe. i worked at jiffy lube for a little more than 4 years and a lot of people say that the oil light is on i need some oil. and i have to tell them that the light means low oil pressure and generally the car is very very low on oil and it is not good.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
It implies the opposite of what the intent of the ad was. It "normalizes" the behavior of waiting for the light. A bad thing, when the intro sentence is a friendly warning.

Exactly what I was thinking. The add would better serve its audience if it encouraged them to not let it get to that point.

quote:

Below that it says:

------

I put some of the blame on car owners manuals. Most of them say something to the point of "If you see the light flicker on while rounding a corner or at idle, don't worry" How can we reasonably expect to get people to wise up to things like that when factory literature implies that seeing the light once in a while is nothing to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back