Pre Jeep Oil change advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time.

BACK STORY:

1) Jeep's at 98,000 miles now.

2) Almost 8,000 miles since the fill of M1 (TdT) on the M1 filter. Its killing me. I cant imagine how extended drainers do it. My next run of TDT is going to go 6000 miles max.

3) Threw in some b-12 (?) BeryMans fuel cleaner on a 1/4 tank, going to run it hard on the Tpk, and then fill up on some Sunoco with another can of BeryMans' as per someone on Bitog's advice.

4) Threw in one 14 (?) oz. bottle of CD2 cleaner into the crankcase after all this talk on here about the product the other day. all this is for tomorrow's 200 mile round trip to West Point for an ARMY thing.

After the return towards home, since all that 'gunks' been loosened with the (TDT) and now the CD2, I'm going to change the oil in the parking lot after sunset, and put in 6qts of TDT on a Wix filter after I let him drain for 60 minutes.

98,000+ miles, Second run of M1 (TDT) [Saving the GC for Winter]

QUESTION:

What am I doing wrong?
What should I do instead?
Hooah.

-A

I would bring an extra filter with you on your trip, and a filter wrench. Just in case.

Is this your first run of M1? If so it has probably loosened stuff up before you put in the CD2.

Go ahead and drive the 200 miles and change it out. Don't use any additives next time as some of the CD2 will still be left in there.

It sounds like you are doing good. Any specific reason that you put CD2 in there? Or are you just having fun?
wink.gif

(I do the same thing, but normally I convince myself that topping off with normal oil is the best way to go.)

I'd use Chevron Techron instead of the B12.
Get the strongest one - there are varieties.

If the directions for the CD2 allow extended running, then you can drive it.
If it says to change the oil right away, then I'd do that instead.

"What am doing wrong?"

You're selling your oil short, that's what. TDT is on heck of a stout oil, and will do 10k easy. Changing at 6k? Waste, waste, waste!

Army_Guy - you CAN do 10k!!!

Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy
Long time.

BACK STORY:

1) Jeep's at 98,000 miles now.

2) Almost 8,000 miles since the fill of M1 (TdT) on the M1 filter. Its killing me. I cant imagine how extended drainers do it. My next run of TDT is going to go 6000 miles max.

3) Threw in some b-12 (?) BeryMans fuel cleaner on a 1/4 tank, going to run it hard on the Tpk, and then fill up on some Sunoco with another can of BeryMans' as per someone on Bitog's advice.

4) Threw in one 14 (?) oz. bottle of CD2 cleaner into the crankcase after all this talk on here about the product the other day. all this is for tomorrow's 200 mile round trip to West Point for an ARMY thing.

After the return towards home, since all that 'gunks' been loosened with the (TDT) and now the CD2, I'm going to change the oil in the parking lot after sunset, and put in 6qts of TDT on a Wix filter after I let him drain for 60 minutes.

98,000+ miles, Second run of M1 (TDT) [Saving the GC for Winter]

QUESTION:

What am I doing wrong?
What should I do instead?
Hooah.

-A

Was this Jeep badly abused before you got it? Why all the solvents and flushing and worries? Your sig says you drive it 65 miles a day, you can't get much easier on oil than that unless you run it 24/7 since you're pretty much guaranteeing that it fully warms up the oil and keeps it hot for an extended time every start/stop cycle- no condensables can remain in there to form sludge and deposits. At only 98k miles, it should be fairly clean in there if it was given any sort of reasonable oil and filter changes, and if it's always had M1 it should be pretty much spotless. Just run M1 TDT 5w40 or Rotella T 5w40 year-round, 6k-8k OCI, and forget it.

I wouldn't have added ANYTHING to the TDT........

Also, cut your filter open when you are done, see if it cleaned anything out
grin2.gif

SuperDave456: Nah Man, Its the long drive stuff. allows 2-3k mi.
OverK1ll: I know Bro; I'm not going to add anything next time.
440Magnum: Just making sure there's nothing in there.
Addyguy: Oh My God!!! Dude. Really? 10k on an oil ?!?!?
Mechtech2: I loooooove Techron (in black bottle), I use it plenty.

Boys! As per many conversations on here including a few with OverK1ll, I've come to the conclusion M1 (TdT) is the best thing out there for a rough driver like my self. I like using it, The Jeep likes using it, everyone's happy. I live in Central Jersey. "Severe Service" is the name of the game.

440Magnum asks "why?" I don't know Bro., I just want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to keep him alive and God willing healthy for a very very long time. Heck; I'd use MOTUL if I could (with all that yummy expensive Ester in there...), but no ones given me a straight answer on where I can pick up a legitimate supply. I got the stickers ready for the sides and everything.

I F-in love my Jeep. I'm sticking with that (TDT), I like knowing its in there, but AddyGuy: 10K? Comeon, is M1 (TDT)'s tbn really that awesome? if so how does it rank with the new M1 EP, or M1 o-40? I wonder.

As far as the fuel system goes, I'm pretty keen on using Techron in the black bottle, for what its worth, I think its the best stuff out there. Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming?
T-Minus 12hrs for my wake up...

BITOG Rules.

-A

I F-in love my Jeep.

Don't love it too much. You always have to beat it a little, just to let it know who's still the boss.

I'm sticking with that (TDT), I like knowing its in there, but AddyGuy: 10K? Comeon, is M1 (TDT)'s tbn really that awesome? if so how does it rank with the new M1 EP, or M1 o-40? I wonder.

I would do 10K on TDT. Heck, I'd do 10K on my Delo SAE30, except that it would take me years. One of these seasons, I'm going to start tracking gallons of fuel used.

I tried tracking gallons used; I became sick... especially since I decided to do that during the Summer 08' Fuel Crisis. (I highly recommend against it Dude.)

-A

Well, its transport oil, thats why the recommendation for the long OCI. Running it in a jeep isn't even working it
grin2.gif

15,000 miles? I would say 10,000 would be possible but you have to remember that not even Mobil 1 calls it a extended OCI oil.

I don't think there is a test on it. Maybe you could do a VOA or a UOA on it for us to see how good it is.

Last edited:
Quote:
Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits
Meets or exceeds demanding specifications of major OEMs One engine oil for mixed fleet operations
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Reduced low temperature sludge build-up and high temperature deposits
Enhanced film strength at high temperatures Reduced engine scuffing and bore polishing
Inherent stay-in-grade shear stability Wear protection and reduced oil consumption; maintains viscosity in severe, high temperature service
Advanced formulation and viscometrics Improved fuel economy
Low volatility Reduced oil consumption
Exceptional low temperature pumpability Easier engine start-up and reduced wear
Enhanced TBN quality reserve Deposit control and extended drain capability
Outstanding resistance to corrosion Extended life of critical wear surfaces
Long drain capability Increased operating efficiency and lower overall cost
Component compatibility Longer gasket and seal life, extended service intervals

Originally Posted By: ZZman
15,000 miles? I would say 10,000 would be possible but you have to remember that not even Mobil 1 calls it a extended OCI oil.

I don't think there is a test on it. Maybe you could do a VOA or a UOA on it for us to see how good it is.

It has a starting TBN of 12 dude........

Doug Hillary went something like 44,000Km between OCI's (huge sumps though) on D1, which is the same oil as the older CI-4+ TDT.

I'd run it 10k, but with a UOA.

Also, like others have said, don't add anything to the oil.

TDT will do a MINIMUM of 10k, but yeah, to be sure, beyond that do a UOA to make sure you're safe. Most likely, 15k would be achievable with mostly highway driving.

Seriously, ANYTHING less than 10k is a waste. TDT is the 'real deal'...I've heard it referred to on here as the '800-pound gorilla of oils'...well, D1, which is the same thing basically.

I tried tracking gallons used; I became sick... especially since I decided to do that during the Summer 08' Fuel Crisis. (I highly recommend against it Dude.)

-A
My Heep is different(95% trail rig) as I would burn the same amount of fuel in 100 miles as some do in 1000. I do a lot of start/stop (sometimes in gear)and extended operation in compound low.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Seriously, ANYTHING less than 10k is a waste. TDT is the 'real deal'...I've heard it referred to on here as the '800-pound gorilla of oils'...well, D1, which is the same thing basically.

You could go 10K on Delo 15w40 too. It's TBN is 12.2.

Well I tell you, It loved that 92 mile all highway, 5o degree, Cold Air Intake suckin, pre-dawn trip this morning. After all this (tdt) love, I feel ok running it the extra 2,ooo miles to make it 1o,ooo total, I'll drain it extra long since the CD-2 is in it, and look forward towards 1o,ooo on the next run of pure (tdt) on that Wix or M1 or K&N filter. On that note:

Should I use a K&N, M1, or Wix on the next run of (tdt)?

Thanks everyone.

-A

keep in mind that 4.0 uses timing chain. Don't those tend to add strain to the oil? 10,000 might make nervous, and I used to run all my cars at that oci during a 400mile/week commute.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back