[practical] difference between Penzoil Plat and Penzoil Plat euro

Hi guys, sorry, still geeking out a bit on the oil choice for my new [to me] direct injection chevy.

in 5w-30, or 0w-30 form, what would the practical, real world differences be between penzoil's regular US spec platinum oil and the euro formula?

i'm trying to pick my forever oil here. lol

it does!

346d4a84-5cd8-431e-8c41-3ed646d082a4_1.a3303f71f645f74121d6c22f1ba6e959.jpeg

good stuff. didnt realize the euro formula was dex 2 and not 1

the research goes on...

my gut feeling is that the euro blands VW/Audi etc did direct injection gas before anyone in the US did, so they should have a better understanding of oil requirements, but maybe i just accept the US standards, GF6, etc.

dexos2 is for gasoline and diesel engines. Judging by the approvals it is commonly paired with, I'd say it is almost universally a higher quality oil than dexos1.

Reactions: SR5
The Euro flavors tend to run kind of heavy for grade and have an HTHS around 3.5, whereas the regular platinum is ILSAC/Resource Conserving oil that runs thinner for grade and has a lower HTHS.

The Penz Platiunum oils tend to run on the thin side of grade and are formulated to be LSPI friendly. The Pennzoil Euro oils are thick for grade (in 30) and use high calcium formulations (not LSPI friendly).

But Ultra Platinum 0w40 is thicker than
Euro Platinum (SN+ or SP
depending on how recently it was
made). Changing from another SN
oil to Euro SN+ 0w40 stopped my
super knock codes.

Back