PQIA Tests High Mileage Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

Is there a 1-page comparison table?

And how come M1 HM is not included?
smile.gif

Aside from Noack, MaxLife doesn't appear to be much different on paper as other HM oils. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

And why no sketchy oils? It's not as much fun when there are no advisories! I take that back. Even big name oils have had advisories.

Thanks!

-Dennis

I think for this batch they were only testing mineral Oil HMs.

I think if I was going to use a mineral Oil HM QS Defy would be my pick.

Peak HM looks a bit undertreated.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks.

Is there a 1-page comparison table?

smile.gif

This is just the first set - five more are due next week. The consolidated page will be included with the next set.

Tom NJ

VML satifies my warranty req'mnts and has low NOACK...
Liking the PHM as well.

Last edited:
Thinking Peak HM and SuperTech HM are one and the same. Nice NOACK on MaxLife, and I'm thinking they're (ML) also happy to get out this without an advisory on this one. lol

Thanks Tom.

Question...

Take a look at the header for the PHM. PQIA advises GF-5?

But the bottle doesnt (nor have any i've seen in marketplace). Is this an oversight or does PQIA actually show, meeting GF-5 requirments through testing somehow?

Last edited:
Defy isn't really a "HM" oil but is targeted at older cars that require (or the owners just want) high AW additive levels such as ZDDP and Defy doesn't disappoint.
A good inexpensive, readily available alternative to running a heavier HDEO 10W-30.
And if the 5W-30 is still too heavy the Defy 5W-20 which presumably is the same product with less VIIs can be used or a blend of the two.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Question...

But the bottle doesnt (nor have any i've seen in marketplace). Is this an oversight or does PQIA actually show, meeting GF-5 requirments through testing somehow?

Oops - you are right. Fixed.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: wemay
Question...

Oops - you are right. Fixed.

Tom NJ

No biggie, Thanks Tom!

Maxlife wins on Noack, for what that's worth.
The Pennz looks like it has the best add pack.
Defy doesn't look too special.
Interesting, as PQIA's VOAs always are.

From my understanding, the key thing to focus on with HM oils are the seal conditioners and detergency. Awhile back, an XOM sales guy posted a few things about HM oils. They are basically boosted in the seal conditioner (which are not just esters and vary from oil to oil) and detergent area. Unforutunately they don't reveal much about the seal conditioner part. Why should they? I think in most cases they are a form of diester, but I'm not sure that is what Ashland uses. These oils also have higher ZDP/Ca/Mg. So despite the original creation of a high milage oil being sort of gimmick, these oils do have a purpose and do work for specific reasons.

*Defy does have added seal conditioner which makes it a HM oil.

Thanks Tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back