PQIA Results of Synthetic Blends / SN Plus

jurko

Site Donor 2022
5W-30 Synthetic Blend API SN PLUS
Blend 5W-30.jpg

5W-20 Synthetic Blend API SN PLUS
Blend 5W-20.jpg

Last edited:
Whenever I see these types of charts posted I’m always confused. Am I supposed to be able to tell which oil is better or worse based upon those numbers? And if so, which numbers do I look at? Do you know which ones make an oil better or worse? If you went to the work of putting together that table I’m guessing you do.

And since the numbers represent only the atomic makeup of decomposed compounds and also only show metallic elements how does that affect your decision?

Whenever I see these types of charts posted I’m always confused. Am I supposed to be able to tell which oil is better or worse based upon those numbers? And if so, which numbers do I look at? Do you know which ones make an oil better or worse? If you went to the work of putting together that table I’m guessing you do.

And since the numbers represent only the atomic makeup of decomposed compounds and also only show metallic elements how does that affect your decision?

I would say it depends on what attributes you're looking for. One might prefer a thicker/thinner oil for whatever reason, or prefer more detergents and/or anti-wear compounds which do show up in the analysis. I don't believe it can tell you one is better than another, depends on your definition of better. Better to one person might mean thicker while more moly/boron for anti-wear might be "better" to another. If nothing else, it's interesting to see the different formulas compared side by side.

Thanks OP, I like these charts, seeing all the basic data in one place is nice.

That Ford Motorcraft oil looks good, at the top end for all KV100, TBN, Zinc and Boron. Maybe not the highest in everything, but strong across the board, in a name brand you can trust.

Good to see QS Defy still has high zinc.

OP, a couple of your -30 Deg C numbers are off, specifically the NAPA and the Castrol. The numbers should read 5,229 and 6,298, not 52 and 63.

Of all the oils in the world... Citgo Supergard Synthetic Blend 5W20. Super Tech HM 5W20 is like that too...kinda beefy and stout for a cheap, thin oil.

This is the purpose of an Oil Forum and what it is ALL about. Oil discussions. If people don't discuss differences and what not, there is no point in having a forum.

This is the purpose of an Oil Forum and what it is ALL about. Oil discussions. If people don't discuss differences and what not, there is no point in having a forum.
Okay sure. What do the differences mean then? Using that chart, which oils are better than the others? I don't necessarily mean which one is "best", but using the numbers and the elements which oils are better than others?

I mean since that's what it is ALL about.

The Castrol and NAPA cold viscosities look off by a factor of about 100.
By the time it was brought up to me the time window for edit was closed.
Next time I need better QA before posting.
As it is now just add 00 and you'll be close.

Okay sure. What do the differences mean then? Using that chart, which oils are better than the others? I don't necessarily mean which one is "best", but using the numbers and the elements which oils are better than others?

Have you run out of your happy medication again ??

Call for a refill.

:LOL:

There are two things missing in the tables that I look at to help choose between oils with the same viscosity rating: 1) HTHS viscosity and 2) Noack. I typically choose oils that have higher HTHS and lower Noack if the formulation is similar. Also like Moly in there. I went through this exercise a while back and went with Valvoline Advanced when I started looking and comparing.

There are two things missing in the tables that I look at to help choose between oils with the same viscosity rating: 1) HTHS viscosity and 2) Noack. I typically choose oils that have higher HTHS and lower Noack if the formulation is similar. Also like Moly in there. I went through this exercise a while back and went with Valvoline Advanced when I started looking and comparing.
I also believe that HTHS is important, but you do get a minimum value from the approvals. For example on my new Tiguan I'm going to use Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 since it has VW 504 00 approval with an HTHS minimum of 3.5. I don't need a separate chart to tell me that.

As far as Noack goes, some people are quite infatuated with that but I struggle to find any relative importance outside of the approval requirement.

Yes, this is why it is called a discussion.

I also believe that HTHS is important, but you do get a minimum value from the approvals. For example on my new Tiguan I'm going to use Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 since it has VW 504 00 approval with an HTHS minimum of 3.5. I don't need a separate chart to tell me that.

As far as Noack goes, some people are quite infatuated with that but I struggle to find any relative importance outside of the approval requirement.
Who are those people infatuated with NOACK?
You seem to struggle and being confrontational in lot of yours 15K+ posts/replies.
I wonder why that is?

As far as Noack goes, it is a critical measurement of oil quality and reflects on base stock and additives qualities.
The lower % the better, specially in today's environment where engines run hotter than ever.

Back