PQIA High Mileage oils, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time!

Boy, that GTX is one heavy 5w30, and MSHM is up there in terms of VI with 169.

Last edited:
Also this should help squash the rumor that Mobil HM is a full synthetic. I hope XOM fixes its back label I doubt XOM will get it corrected until after nearly every PCMO is marketed as a "synthetic".

It'll be nice when PQIA finally tests some of the dexos1 oils that they've never previously tested.

This is such an important spec for late model GM owners, which PQIA has never done much with.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Also this should help squash the rumor that Mobil HM is a full synthetic. I hope XOM fixes its back label I doubt XOM will get it corrected until after nearly every PCMO is marketed as a "synthetic".

I brought the label stating it was a full syn. to people's attention, it was NOT a rumor, it was stating what was seen on a label that was also seen by others.

A rumor is something that someone makes up and has no basis to be told, a label stating that an oil is a full syn. from the actual maker of said oil is not a rumor.

While XOM has stated it is a blend, the new labels don't say such NOR does the website, it says-

"Unique formulation proven to help extend engine life"

Concerning MSHM:
Yes but their 5qt jugs all say synthetic blend, and as mentioned, so do their technical support team. They are doing no one any favors by perpetuating this confusion.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Concerning MSHM:
Yes but their 5qt jugs all say synthetic blend, and as mentioned, so do their technical support team. They are doing no one any favors by perpetuating this confusion.

Correct. I checked the 5qt. jug a couple of days ago to see if any changes had been made to them.

XOM says one thing while labels and the web site say something different.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That moly and Boron in Pennzoil high mileage sure stands out in my book.

No doubt! It's AW pkg is very impressive.
I do wonder though, what about it keeps it from being a GF-5 oil when the other's that are, show similar phosphorus and zinc.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Also this should help squash the rumor that Mobil HM is a full synthetic.

PQIA posted a photograph of one of the very one quart bottles that are labeled Full Synthetic!

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/mobilsuperhm.htm

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
While XOM has stated it is a blend, the new labels don't say such NOR does the website, it says-

"Unique formulation proven to help extend engine life"

The website also says this:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Super_High_Mileage.aspx

Quote:
Mobil Super High Mileage uses a combination of synthetic and conventional high quality base oils combined with modern performance additives

Originally Posted By: babbittd[quote
Mobil Super High Mileage uses a combination of synthetic and conventional high quality base oils combined with modern performance additives

It may say it there but here, MSHM 5W-30 there is no mention of a syn. blend or syn.

I like that GTX, VML and MSHM are both, SN and GF-5. Making them good to go in any late model applications. PHM, only being an SN, would be a consideration as well.

+1 ... The best of the bunch in my opinion ...
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That moly and Boron in Pennzoil high mileage sure stands out in my book.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why no M1 HM in this comparison?

Would have been nice to see Havoline as well.

The NAPA and AAP oils look like the same stuff.
Peak looks weak.
Out of all of those, I think I like VML the best.

Yup, sad. No Havoline.

While I do like to see more PQIA tests of different weights, I think the addition of two 10w30 is a really bad error (construct validity) on their part. This is not a good comparison. I am fine testing 10w30 but keep the separate.

Why can't we get more samples as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back