PQIA HD Tests

That side of the company was handed to hMobil executives and engineers … It's Exxon lubricants that went away.
You obviously left on bad terms (do tell), are bitter, and have a biased opinion. Many top shelf products came out since the merger. The two companies formed the JV Infineium, and buy/trade base stocks with each other. Not the great deal of distinction that's in your head.

Shell has too many eggs in one basket with Pearl. Uncle Dave can explain how it's exposed.

I like that Shell/Rotella decided not to make T4 a dual rated oil when CK4 came about. I do find it odd that T4 doesn't contain Moly. Does the higher level of ZDDP offset the need to add Moly?

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Mobil isn't what it used to be after the Exxon takeover. I've switched most engines over to Shell.

Kind of silly basing your oil choice on an even that happened nearly 25 years ago or so. Mobil and Shell jointly own Infineum. Both produce top notch oils.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Holy cow, that Delvac 1300 is weak on antiwear.

Is it? Is it really?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4797207/Re:_Shell_vs_Delvac

Not from what my former colleagues told me, including Chief Engineers and laboratory scientists. How do you know my experiences to call them silly? Pretty forward of you.

Not from what my former colleagues told me, including Chief Engineers and laboratory scientists. How do you know my experiences to call them silly? Pretty forward of you.

Can you provide any specifics? I have known people that used to work for XOM as well. And when did they say this to you?

Why should I discuss this after calling a stranger "silly" knowing nothing about me? I usually don't respond to condescending posts.

Why should I discuss this after calling a stranger "silly" knowing nothing about me? I usually don't respond to condescending posts.

Because you put it out there so I'd like to know specifically. I've known people that worked at Mobil as well. I never heard this before. This also happened over 20 years ago. It's like saying I'm not buying a Hyundai based on their poor quality in the 90's.

If you're going to make a claim that a brand suffered from quality from a merger that happened 20 years ago, I'm curious to know what exactly that means and how it impacted quality.

We know quite a bit about you since you've posted your background several times in multiple threads.

So you think you should be able to make unsubstantiated "personal knowledge" posts and no one can ask you about it? That sounds more condescending than just being called "silly". Besides, you weren't personally being called silly, it was a comment about an apparent decision making process. Considering how extensively you've publicly stated your credentials here I think such a comment was entirely appropriate.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by whizbyu

High ZDDP has given way to many other additives that don't show up in VOA's
More ZDDP does not equal 'better'

What makes an oil better then? How many permutations are there on different additive concentrations?
When comparing T5 to T6, it appears that T6 has more antiwear additive. Does that make it better?

better and higher quality base oils....better additive packages, (ZDDP is but one of many, many anti-wear additives).

+1

The performance of the blend is at least dependent upon the certifications it meets, which call for wear performance benchmarks in select areas.
If one would like to find an oil with better wear performance, they should start with looking for an oil meeting a higher cert or maybe asking for wear performance results coming from the testing (if they will relinquish that, too.)

Last edited:
Mobil isn't what it used to be after the Exxon takeover. I've switched most engines over to Shell.

LOL you will find that you simply cannot make any bad remarks or attack Mobil on this site, it is full of Mobil1 fan boys and they get bent out of shape when you say anything wrong about this oil! Trust me, I see it and have seen it for years. Every single engine I put M1 products in are much noisier and I've even had oblivious customers complain as to why their car was so much "louder". I drain the M1 and fill with any other brand and the noise either disappears or is barely noticeable. Yes, I know engine noise is subjective, but its awful funny it coincides with high Fe on oil reports and has been documented for a few years now..

I'll stick with SOPUS products. Thanks,

Originally Posted by HDoilDude

...Not picking a fight here, just wondering what these other additives are that aren't showing up in Blackstone reports?

What other additive component chemistry may be in there?

Any non-metallic additive, such as a purely organic chemistry, will not show up in a low cost analysis.

Last edited:
Uh-huh … Mobil is factory fill in many of the worlds finest cars … and diesels from DMax to massive CATs … but can't get the endorsements of two grown boys on BITOG … who pretend to have knowledge they don't …

It's also the base stock and add pack behind dozens that don't get bashed here …

Originally Posted by racin4ds

LOL you will find that you simply cannot make any bad remarks or attack Mobil on this site, it is full of Mobil1 fan boys and they get bent out of shape when you say anything wrong about this oil! Trust me, I see it and have seen it for years. Every single engine I put M1 products in are much noisier and I've even had oblivious customers complain as to why their car was so much "louder". I drain the M1 and fill with any other brand and the noise either disappears or is barely noticeable. Yes, I know engine noise is subjective, but its awful funny it coincides with high Fe on oil reports and has been documented for a few years now..

I'll stick with SOPUS products. Thanks,

Very few brands are consistently good throughout their lifetime. And there can be a variety of reasons for that. Pennzoil and sludge, Castrol and their deposit issue, Amsoil and oxidation thickening and using dated chemistry etc. You can go back in time and find flaws in any brand, Mobil 1 included. They had some quality batch issues during the Katrina incident. With that said, I wouldn't avoid using any of the aforementioned brands because of issues they may have had 20 years ago.

Shell makes good oil. Shell jointly owns Infineum with XOM. XOM additives and base oils are found in many other oils people are using.

To each their own. Glad we have options.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Holy cow, that Delvac 1300 is weak on antiwear.

Is it? Is it really?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4797207/Re:_Shell_vs_Delvac

Anything in particular that you want me to get from the linked thread?

Can anyone answer my previous question about Rotella T4 containing no moly? I see it contains a lot of zinc and phosphorus, does that negate having to include moly in their add-pack?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Uh-huh … Mobil is factory fill in many of the worlds finest cars … and diesels from DMax to massive CATs … but can't get the endorsements of two grown boys on BITOG … who pretend to have knowledge they don't …

It's also the base stock and add pack behind dozens that don't get bashed here …

LOL that always seems to be the first argument that M1 is good.... do you not realize that these major auto manufacturers use the lowest bidder for factory fill??? That fact means nothing in terms of oil quality!

Yes, XM base stock are used by many, because they are one of, if not THE largest base stock producer. BUT all those other companies use add packs that don't drive high Fe numbers, and cause excessive wear on critical surfaces.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Yes, XM base stock are used by many, because they are one of, if not THE largest base stock producer. BUT all those other companies use add packs that don't drive high Fe numbers, and cause excessive wear on critical surfaces.
wink.gif

Can you post examples of teardown reports that show the oil causes excessive wear on critical surfaces?

Back