PQIA finds three more junk oils in Mid-West

Status
Not open for further replies.
0.01 TBN for the "5-30"...wow!
They must be removing the detergents from the used oil somehow before bottling...unless the source is used non-detergent oil?
I can't imagine why some [censored], fly by night outfit would bother taking anything out of used oil before rebottling it...

Agreed - Dollar General and others cleaned up their act - but many convienence stores still carry junk oils for nothing on the road under 50 years old ...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
One good thing california did was to ban oils like this.

They also banned the sale of all oils that don't meet "minimum" API/ACEA standards like say Royal Purple XPR & the like. Even websites you go to have small print at the bottom when buying these oils that says "Not for sale in California". Be careful, next they'll tell you what kind of toothpaste you can use.....The ULTIMATE nanny state.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez

They also banned the sale of all oils that don't meet "minimum" API/ACEA standards like say Royal Purple XPR & the like. Even websites you go to have small print at the bottom when buying these oils that says "Not for sale in California". Be careful, next they'll tell you what kind of toothpaste you can use.....The ULTIMATE nanny state.

Yes because of that you can no longer buy Valvoline VR1 in California, because the 10W-30 was API SG or SJ can't remember, ( 1300ppm zddp and 30w so it cannot meed modern specs ), otherwise it's a perfectly good oil, on par with any modern 10W-30 dino.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
0.01 TBN for the "5-30"...wow!
They must be removing the detergents from the used oil somehow before bottling...unless the source is used non-detergent oil?
I can't imagine why some [censored], fly by night outfit would bother taking anything out of used oil before rebottling it...

My guess is that it's some sort of used industrial oil, such as the type you might find in very large engines, like in giant ships, etc.. or diesel power backup generators, etc.. The silicon, copper, iron, etc.. in these oils strongly indicates that is has been used in SOME kind of application.

dang it! purchased in my town too.
I want to know what store, so i can spread the word.
but PQIA , understandably, never lists the store, just the city where purchased.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

Yes because of that you can no longer buy Valvoline VR1 in California, because the 10W-30 was API SG or SJ can't remember, ( 1300ppm zddp and 30w so it cannot meed modern specs ), otherwise it's a perfectly good oil, on par with any modern 10W-30 dino.
Dang I had not realized that. I thought it was just the ND junk that was banned.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

Dang I had not realized that. I thought it was just the ND junk that was banned.

It's a sword that cutes both ways. Oils that aren't well paired to a modern gas motor, but have many other perfectly fine applications are unavailable to folks that know the difference, and aren't buying on price point alone.

But it also ensures that any Joe Q America that needs a quart of oil doesn't walk out with a $2 quart of SA mineral oil for their "it gets me places" car. When I worked at Autozone 10 years ago, I saw *so many* people with no real knowledge of oil buy the cheapest quarts of oil for a daily driver that they'd decided to start maintaining themselves.

Did anyone read the label? Says for top off only and older engines. Why would anyone use this for top off anyway? Oil is cheap!

The problem lies with the consumer. Instead of educating themselves, they wanna place blame when their car blows up due to their own ignorance. But it's OK....The Government/State will TELL YOU what's good for you & what's not, what you can buy & what you can't. By all means DON'T educate yourself or do any research on a subject you're about to spend money on, the Government/State will do it for you & decide what's best for you.....Whether you like it or not, because your ignorance has empowered them to do so.

Last edited:

The problem lies with the consumer. Instead of educating themselves, they wanna place blame when their car blows up due to their own ignorance. But it's OK....The Government/State will TELL YOU what's good for you & what's not, what you can buy & what you can't. By all means DON'T educate yourself or do any research on a subject you're about to spend money on, the Government/State will do it for you & decide what's best for you.....Whether you like it or not, because your ignorance has empowered them to do so.

There is a legitimate need for the government to regulate and enforce standards within reason. Otherwise drug companies would be selling sugar tablets as blood thinners. Remember snake oil?

They should require a compliance sticker on the oil (NOT incorporated in the label, but a distinct add-on).

That way every type could still be available for sale, an educated consumer can determine if they want to run the otherwise good non-compliant oil with no sticker, and the true junk won't have the sticker, or will have a counterfeit sticker that the State can nail them with a fine for. Hit them in the pocket book and pretty soon there's no incentive to fake it.

I'm pretty sure you could introduce a little consumer education at point-of-sale in stores that sell good oil, and I expect a few State-sponsored TV ads could easily be squeezed into the existing media budget. Government loves to tell us how wonderful they are.

California is a big enough market that it won't be a cost burden to the oil manufacturers to have to add the sticker to the product, and once Cali does it, it becomes just as cheap to manufacturers when another State adopts the same regulation.

Even if you don't do it that way, I am surprised these otherwise fine oils can't be sold with a "for racing engine use only" limitation rather than an outright ban. But maybe they are worried that it would only make the junk oil seem more attractive to the average idiot.

Just looking at some of the other numbers in the samples on the Q oils and I would guess them to be used motor oil just packaged in a new container. I haven't checked every oil that PQIA has rejected, but these certainly must be near the bottom of oil quality.

A new food market opened by me and I went in to look around.
They had a small auto shelf and right next to Pennzoil was Golden State.
I thought this was banned.
It was less than half the price of Pennzoil
so I know it will sell.
The store is El Rio Grande Latin Market.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

There is a legitimate need for the government to regulate and enforce standards within reason. Otherwise drug companies would be selling sugar tablets as blood thinners. Remember snake oil?

This is not a great example of good government regulation. There are tons of terrible medications approved in this country that have been proven harmful to your health. governments can be paid off to lie and protect bad folks.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
A new food market opened by me and I went in to look around.
They had a small auto shelf and right next to Pennzoil was Golden State.
I thought this was banned.
It was less than half the price of Pennzoil
so I know it will sell.
The store is El Rio Grande Latin Market.

I would not shop in any store that sold something like this. If they are lax about stocking banned oil, what about off brand food items? A lot of these food brands are known to contain things like pesticides or lead coming from countries with lax regulations

As for govt, regulation is needed but also common sense. It would be easy to grand variances to Valvoline or RP but that is not the case in CA. Beautiful state but I would never live there. Apologies to the Californians here.

PS: I live in WA state so I'm actually living in "California lite".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

There is a legitimate need to make customers whole if the container says blood thinners and it's sugar.

There is NO need to protect people from their own ignorance. I say if some, in this age where the whole of human knowledge is at the fingertips of most of us via a smart phone can't figure out the correct oil for their car and/or see that this bottle clearly doesn't contain that, they need to learn the lesson the painful expensive way.

To claim "I didn't know" in this age merely proves the person was too lazy to take 5-10 minutes to learn.

You know what would be most effective at keeping these oils out of the marketplace? If consumers didn't buy them. If no body bought them, they wouldn't sell.

This bottle is accurate. If you don't take the time to read what your car needs vs what this bottle contains, I say it's on you.

That is far different than expecting a medication and getting a sugar pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back