PQIA finds more bad oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C is 32% lower than the minimum viscosity specification for th 5W-20 SAE grade."

So it's a fuel economy oil.
Maybe they should relabel
it as 0W-12

Which one has ZDDP or DZZP in it ??

I like the low ash fuel economy SuperTec, but if you need a thick used truck oil they do have one listed.

The only problem with the PQIA alert on these. Most folks that are inclined to buy them in the first place probably never heard of PQIA and will have not clue about any alerts they issue. I like that PQIA does this sort of thing, but it all is purely academic and will not change much of anything in the real world.

So far I haven't seen a 0w20 in the failed oil list.Makes me feel like its too hard to make a 0w20 and totally skimp. Im gonna hold my breath because it will probably happen down the line in the near future.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
So far I haven't seen a 0w20 in the failed oil list.Makes me feel like its too hard to make a 0w20 and totally skimp. Im gonna hold my breath because it will probably happen down the line in the near future.

Some of these dastardly individuals/companies just put junk oil in the bottle, waste/used oil. I can see them doing 0W20 without actually having 0W20 in there.

Some oils have been tested by PQIA before for example and found to contain oils that do not match the viscosity requirements at all, or contained waste products and contaminants like silicon and wear metals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I like that PQIA does this sort of thing, but it all is purely academic and will not change much of anything in the real world.

They have succeeded in getting a few examples off the shelves. However, the point is well taken that if some people don't care and think they're getting a great price, very little can be done to change their minds, unless something really bites them in the behind.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
The only problem with the PQIA alert on these. Most folks that are inclined to buy them in the first place probably never heard of PQIA and will have not clue about any alerts they issue. I like that PQIA does this sort of thing, but it all is purely academic and will not change much of anything in the real world.

It is impossible to reach all potential buyers of these junk oils, and PQIA goes well beyond just publishing oil test results on the Internet to protect consumers. They continuously contact and work with many state and federal agencies, and have caused numerous oil brands to be banned entirely in several states. They also have given speeches to Weights & Measures, both locally and nationally, supported legislation, appeared on TV investigative shows, published magazine articles, and worked with oil organizations and distributors to make them aware of the extent of the problem. In addition, many regional newspapers and Internet publishers have picked up on PQIA stories from PQIA press releases, which reach thousands of people and organizations.

The slime balls who fill oil bottles with damaging waste products are slippery and sometimes fold up shop when pursued, only to reappear at a different location or under a different name. The battle continues with ever increasing support.

Tom NJ/VA

NOTE: While I am an advisor to PQIA, I am not an employee, receive no compensation from them, and my comments on BITOG represent only my personal opinions.

Tom I would consider you opinions an opinion from a professional in the field not just opinion regurgitated from reading an article that the reader may or may not knowledgeable about the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back