PPM does it change with AGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does PPM change?

If Car #1 had a PPM on average of say 1 or 2 for a certain wear metal, and NOTHING else changes other than the age of the engine, and the same oil is used throught, will the PPM increase in proportion to the age of the engine?

If so, at what rate for an Average, and two for a very well maintained engine?

Can one tell based on the Increase if there is one, how much life is left within the engine?

Anyone have a clue?

well, after a certain point, the mains and rods will one by one, start to knock. this knocking only gets worse over time, and as the clearences get larger, each knock gets to be more damaging.

so i would say that once you get to the point of rod knock, its only going to get worse on a non linear scale.

with that said, my father got 15K out of an engine that had a knocking bearing. we all had bets on which bearing it was and how long it would take for somthing to finally break. it was 15K miles from the time he first noticed it, untill one of the connecting rods broke the cap off from excessive knock. tward the end, you could hear the engine from down the street, the last couple of days it ran, it got worse real quick.

Hi,
this is an interesting topic

In my experience, after an engine "settles down" from new - this may take up to 250kkms in the case of heavy diesels - the wear rate seems very constant

After many UOAs over millions of kms on my heavy diesel engines I can say that I have not seen an increase in the PPM rate of any wear metals if OCIs and the operation remains constant

"Spikes" may alert you to potential problems of course

In tracking my UOAs over some years the wear metal rates have remained remarkably constant throughout the life of each engine

Regards

[ December 21, 2003, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

I concur with above post. After tracking my Camry for over 10 years, as well as others for shorter periods, the wear metals level out anywhere from 15,000-30,000 miles and stay about the same given no component failures. So, really looking for spikes, changes that may indicate a problem once you feel the trend has been established. You must take into account some seasonal issues (harsh winter) and a change in driving habits.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
I concur with above post. After tracking my Camry for over 10 years, as well as others for shorter periods, the wear metals level out anywhere from 15,000-30,000 miles and stay about the same given no component failures. So, really looking for spikes, changes that may indicate a problem once you feel the trend has been established. You must take into account some seasonal issues (harsh winter) and a change in driving habits.

I agree with both you and Doug, the thing is, it would SEEM that when it's WEARING out, the numbers would change.

What I usually see before the spikes is a change in the ADDITIVE levels, the Spikes seem to follow that, this is how I handle it before I get the lab report because the report takes from 3-4 weeks, and even hen slow it's still 4K+ for me and over 6-10K when more steady...
Yes I do look for Spikes in metals but they usually follow changes in the additives, and I have not been able to pinpoint that YET.

What I'd like to know is is there a TREND in The TREND that shows, say 25% or 50% or 75% usalge left in the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back