PPF question...

Something I don't quite understand, and I am guessing it is because I am assuming a process, and maybe the technicians have better tools available than what I know.

Why is it more expensive to do a full hood, or full front quarter panels, as compared to half? I realize there is more material involved with the full cover, but thinking of warranty (peeling on the back edge), and the ability to get a straight cut on the material, and make it even seems like a lot more man-hour investment over just covering the whole thing. Anybody in the know on this...? I have analogies, but I can't share. Sometimes industries charge less for more, due to perceived value.

More surface area = more material, more prep.

Here's the dirty secret about PPF - there are 3 ways to do it:

1) Pre-cut pattern - installer uses a pattern for your vehicle and positions it as best as possible; this usually leaves a 1-3mm gap from the edge.

2) Pre-cut pattern, but extend the edges (on the software) so that the edges can be wrapped (where possible).

3) Bulk - lay a full sheet on the panel, add relief cuts and trim edges.

#1 can sometimes be the hardest to install.

Also has a lot to do with how the PPF shrinks and the removal of "fingers" from the wrap. It's a lot easier to get a straight-ish cut on half a panel compared to cutting a whole panel and making sure it shrinks just right so when it lays down on the paint there aren't any "fingers" that are going to cause adherence issues down the road. Think about it like trying to lay down a flat piece of paper on a curved surface. You're going to end up with creases on the edges. Same concept.

Back