PP5W/30 2002 Camry 2AZ-FE 7,159 Miles-tow duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a 100 mile towing of a 2000lb van trailer in this OCI. See this post .

Is it normal for tow duty to beat down TBN? 1.9 v 3.0.

There is another UOA coming with PP 10W30 towing a similar trailer in 103 degree heat for 1100 miles (Texas to Georgia). Probably around 3500 mile on the oil when I get around to change it.

UOA62109.jpg

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
What was the problem with lead back in 2006?

Probably a number of things: 15K OCI (M1 EP), K&N, a dealer tech leave one screw of the air cleaner housing finger tight only, running Regane in the middle of the OCI.

I do believe running Regane had more to do with it. The 10K OCI show elevated lead too (PP and paper filter), it had two bottles of Regane on the 5K mark. The other two had no Regane what-so-ever and lead looked fine.

John Browning remarked that his 2AZ-FE does not react to fuel additives. But mine was assembled in Japan. My guess is they use different bear vendors with different composition in the metals, that reacted to the fuel additives differently.

I am not sure I like the Si level, but the universal average is high. Maybe some gasket in this engine is a Si giver?

I am keeping a close eye on glycol in oil. There has been reports of the head bolts coming loose from the block in these engines. Toyota apparently use steel bolts on Al blocks w/o helicoils.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
What was the problem with lead back in 2006?

I'm not a "credentialed tribologist" or oil analyst (and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night...). With that wind-up, this looks like a classic particle streak to me. There don't seem to be any other indicators in the oil (such as massively high Si), just an out of whack Pb reading. Theory would be that something abrasive got into one of the bearings and wore off a bunch of lead, now showing in your oil. Sorta like the engine's version of a painful pebble (or maybe "pb-ble") in your shoe.

Toyota makes great engines. Wear looks good and no make up oil. My dad has the same engine I'm going to tell him extend his 6K to 7.5K OCI.

a mere 100 miles of towing should not beat up the TBN. the stress of towing (heat, higher RPM's) can cause some shearing, but as long as your engine is in good condition, (I'm sure it is) it should not kill the oil. I used to use a Dodge 2.5 to tow a 2000lb boat a couple of thousand miles with out destroying the oil. currently my Ram pulls over 11k lbs in high heat (summer, hills, mountains) and I have good UOA's. I should dig those out and post them....

Nice to see some high mileage UOAs on this engine. After the next 5000 mile run of PP I'm going to get one done on the Highlander to check up on it. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Silicon - Were you by chance using a Wix air filter?

No. For the four samples they were: K&N (1), Purolator(2&3 Chinese made fiber OEM looking), Purolator (4 Chinese made, rigid-frame Israeli Fram looking but with better soft foam gasket to seal against the air box)

Just curious, but isn't TBN a measure of the base-buffer in the oil to counteract acidity?

Why would we expect towing to deplete TBN while the oil stayed solidly in viscosity grade? It's one thing if the oil is literally destroying the oil, but for the oil to remain stable under towing I wouldn't expect TBN to drop substantially.

Could jus tbe blackstone?

Towing increases fuel consumption and amount of acidic combustion products. It also increases temperature of oil in piston assemblies which may increase oxidative thickening if the antioxidants are depleted enough. So TBN gets lowered more and viscosity may rise from what it have otherwise been. Thickening did occur here and in the previuous UOAs. That is the case even with some polymer shearing and fuel dilution.

Shoulda,woulda,coulda. Don't matter what your numbers were. Each oil,engine,driver,combo is unique. These are HIS numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back