PP vs PP high mileage

Point is, at least several years back, the HM oils were some of the first on the scene to limit/lower Phosphorus to prevent cat plugging. As I mentioned there may be limited examples of this, now, because the oil companies have reduced these limits across the board for HM oils & Non-HM oils.

These components cause ash. The ash can cause plugging.
But the problem with ZDDP and why it is limited is because of how phosphorus poisons the catalyst. It renders it ineffective. It’s not plugging the substrate and causing a restriction. It flows just fine, but it’s not doing anything. The post catalyst oxygen sensor detects this and triggers an efficiency code.

But the problem with ZDDP and why it is limited is because of how phosphorus poisons the catalyst. It renders it ineffective. It’s not plugging the substrate and causing a restriction. It flows just fine, but it’s not doing anything. The post catalyst oxygen sensor detects this and triggers an efficiency code.
What I mean by plugging is causing a coating of this additive that renders the cats costly metals to no longer perform their job any longer. It could be stated as plugging in this description I stated but yes "Poisoning" would be a more accurate word.

Point is, at least several years back, the HM oils were some of the first on the scene to limit/lower Phosphorus to prevent cat plugging. As I mentioned there may be limited examples of this, now, because the oil companies have reduced these limits across the board for HM oils & Non-HM oils.
As I said, the limit was imposed with API SM (2004, that's more than several years back), it has nothing to do with the oils being HM or not. As I've provided several examples of at this juncture, HM oils generally have higher levels of AW additives (phosphorous) and are blended a bit heavier.

Catalyst plugging does happen. Happened on my old '88 F-250. But, as @kschachn noted, the issue with phosphorous is the poisoning of the catalyst, rendering it ineffective, which is a separate phenomenon.

Just a casual observation here but this exchange appears to have been a learning exercise for you and you don't seem to be responding particularly well to being corrected on several points, it's as if it's making you uncomfortable. We are all here to learn, sometimes there's stuff we don't know or what we think we know is just incorrect, there's nothing wrong with that. The conversation is much less awkward when a person accepts that they were wrong rather than doubling-down or getting visibly frustrated doing the "that's what I meant" dance. Not trying to Dr. Phil you or anything, just how I'm seeing the exchange from my position in it.

Last edited:
As I said, the limit was imposed with API SM (2004, that's more than several years back), it has nothing to do with the oils being HM or not. As I've provided several examples of at this juncture, HM oils generally have higher levels of AW additives (phosphorous) and are blended a bit heavier.

Catalyst plugging does happen. Happened on my old '88 F-250. But, as @kschachn noted, the issue with phosphorous is the poisoning of the catalyst, rendering it ineffective, which is a separate phenomenon.

Just a casual observation here but this exchange appears to have been a learning exercise for you and you don't seem to be responding particularly well to being corrected on several points, it's as if it's making you uncomfortable. We are all here to learn, sometimes there's stuff we don't know or what we think we know is just incorrect, there's nothing wrong with that. The conversation is much less awkward when a person accepts that they were wrong rather than doubling-down or getting visibly frustrated doing the "that's what I meant" dance. Not trying to Dr. Phil you or anything, just how I'm seeing the exchange from my position in it.
"Lol what? Zinc contains phosphorus?

You need to learn some basic chemistry."

Post like this from your team mate Doesn't exactly start off with a great dialog. Rudeness & sarcasm is not a way to teach if that is there actual intentions. You 2 frequently double down & call each other in as backup. It's silly at times. You had your say & this is Mine. You 2 are no dummies but there is a decent way to treat others & I think that needs some work. Let's show each other common respect. You all are a wealth of information but don't go in attack mode. It comes off as I know something they don't & I'm going to laugh at them & tell them what they need to do rather than having a respectful conversation

I did that several hours ago because I didn't like it when you said it to me so I didn't like saying it to you so it was deemed deleted material. I've told myself that one of my best qualities was learning new things. I'm committed to doing that here on BITOG as well. I'm happy to stick to the facts & if I'm wrong so be it but we all must remember that just b/c we don't or didn't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that other's haven't picked up a good scent on a subject. Don't give up on me yet... :p

"Lol what? Zinc contains phosphorus?

You need to learn some basic chemistry."

Post like this from your team mate Doesn't exactly start off with a great dialog. Rudeness & sarcasm is not a way to teach if that is there actual intentions. You 2 frequently double down & call each other in as backup. It's silly at times. You had your say & this is Mine. You 2 are no dummies but there is a decent way to treat others & I think that needs some work. Let's show each other common respect. You all are a wealth of information but don't go in attack mode. It comes off as I know something they don't & I'm going to laugh at them & tell them what they need to do rather than having a respectful conversation
Please point out the post where I was rude, or even inconsiderate to you in this exchange. Yes, @kschachn was a bit abrasive with the "you need to learn some basic chemistry" but it was in response to this off-base gem which wasn't exactly "friendly":
fantastic said:
And what does Zinc contain... Phosphorus. However, they both cause damage.

Here's some light reading..
https://www.autozone.com/diy/motor-oil/zinc-additives-in-motor-oil-and-how-they-help

Despite your tiff with him, I was nothing but respectful with you in this thread.

I believe that things would have gone more smoothly if you had perhaps hit pause at the point where the topic was getting away from you and everything was still civil. This would have been right before you made post #12 (quoted above). Taking that route rather than starting into a vein which I would consider was unnecessarily combative or perhaps just defensive, would have salvaged the conversation and could have led to a more productive discussion. That's where things started to degrade and it was that post that kicked it off.

Please point out the post where I was rude, or even inconsiderate to you in this exchange. Yes, @kschachn was a bit abrasive with the "you need to learn some basic chemistry" but it was in response to this off-base gem which wasn't exactly "friendly":

Despite your tiff with him, I was nothing but respectful with you in this thread.

I believe that things would have gone more smoothly if you had perhaps hit pause at the point where the topic was getting away from you and everything was still civil. This would have been right before you made post #12 (quoted above). Taking that route rather than starting into a vein which I would consider was unnecessarily combative or perhaps just defensive, would have salvaged the conversation and could have led to a more productive discussion. That's where things started to degrade and it was that post that kicked it off.
Yes, You've been more than civil with me & not rude in the same way. I appreciate that.. & to be fair I can post things that some could take as being "rude" since I'm male I'm "direct" at times with my communication. I want to be honest though. I've picked up that oil information over the years probably through youtube oil marketing videos or somewhere I don't remember. It was stated a few times here & there so I picked it up as fact. Whether or not it is may not be the case. It burned into my head as making sense to boot but I have nothing to back up my claim so that settles that.

So to be clear... Phosphorus has been reduced over the years to prevent catalytic converter "Poisoning" & is NOT unique to just HM oils? Meaning they've reduced them across the board HM & non-HM oils. I was simply under the impression, based on previous info i'd saw somewhere, that it was happening to both types of oils but the HM was reduced even further but that doesn't seem to be the case or ever was the case.

I don't want to be rude or come off that way & I apologize for my faults. I'm wanting to learn that some of what I've heard may not be based on real evidence. Cheers 🍻

Yes, You've been more than civil with me & not rude in the same way. I appreciate that.. & to be fair I can post things that some could take as being "rude" since I'm male I'm "direct" at times with my communication. I want to be honest though. I've picked up that oil information over the years probably through youtube oil marketing videos or somewhere I don't remember. It was stated a few times here & there so I picked it up as fact. Whether or not it is may not be the case. It burned into my head as making sense to boot but I have nothing to back up my claim so that settles that.

So to be clear... Phosphorus has been reduced over the years to prevent catalytic converter "Poisoning" & is NOT unique to just HM oils? Meaning they've reduced them across the board HM & non-HM oils. I was simply under the impression, based on previous info i'd saw somewhere, that it was happening to both types of oils but the HM was reduced even further but that doesn't seem to be the case or ever was the case.

I don't want to be rude or come off that way & I apologize for my faults. I'm wanting to learn that some of what I've heard may not be based on real evidence. Cheers 🍻
Thank you for that, I appreciate it.

And yes, on your "to be clear" bit, that's a correct summation. It kicked-off with API SM in 2004.

Back