PP & PPU not good

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on this site, I have seen a few people saying how the old PP formula was far superior to the new PP and PPU. Is this true? And that M1 is superior to PP and PPU. Just curious

Nothing wrong with the new stuff. Everyone got onto an uproar for the higher NOACK which isn't an important spec when you're well within the limits anyways. Pennzoil had to make tweaks to the formula in some areas to be better in other areas.

I think the general opinion was that the new PP might be better than the old, but the new PU was worse. With little experience to go on, the PP opinion was based on the new having GTL base stocks rather than Group III crude oil. The old PU already had GTL base stocks, but the new stuff has about double the Noack volatility of the old, hence the belief the new stuff was of poorer quality.

Again, few real-world reports on the new PP and it's hard to find anyone that has used the new PU, so who knows?

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
So on this site, I have seen a few people saying how the old PP formula was far superior to the new PP and PPU. Is this true? And that M1 is superior to PP and PPU. Just curious

Seems more like trolling.

lets just pick some volatile statements combine them and drag it back to the top of the forums.

Its important to give different levels of "salt"
to different posters.

For example taking engine advice from arcographite who has blown up the engines in his last 5 cars might be a bad idea(ok slight exaggeration it was 4 cars?)

you will not see any reputable posters take on these topics in an inflammatory manner such as your

"PP NOT GOOD" subject.

Finished oil product is greater than the sum of its noack.

Yes they are terrible new oils and will ruin your motor with wax-like sludge.

Obviously I'm joking. If I were in the market for a synthetic oil for a car with a gasoline engine I would be buying the new PP or PU.

OP, if curious, go back and read the multitude of posts on the subject. Lots of 'stuff' if seached correctly.

PP and PU old or new are great motor oils.

SOPUS products across the board are top tier just like EOM products.

Take your pick, no arguments either way.

Both are great oils, and the PP is on sale now. Having said that, I personally would stick with the M1 or TGMO you were asking about earlier.

No

I just used an old jug of PP and have some new ones I just bought.

Lets compare:

OLD----------NEW
2009---------2014
API SM GF4---API SN GF5
ACEA A5/B5---None

OLD:
superior Active Cleansing Agents (vs our conventional and blend oils)

NEW:
cleaner pistons (up to 40% than the toughest industry standards)

OLD:
no leading synthetic motor oil provides better wear protection (as measured in ASTM IVA test using 5W50 [sic!])

NEW:
no other leading motor oil provides better protection from friction (based on sequence IVA wear test using 5W30)

Here you go. You can easily see which one is better. It's clearly spelled out.

If you bought any PP/PU you should do yourself a favor and give it to me. This will save you some headache and I do not mind using one of the finest off the self products on market.

LOL! it perplexes me no less as to why utilitarian automobile owners debating on PU or PP?

IMHO both already exceeded the original lubricant requirements set by the utilitarian automobile manufacturer standards....

I only feed my utilitarian, low-performance based automobile with PYB or QState green, and never have to even think about so-called boutique oil or PU, PP, Mobil one/2 or whatever comes along on the boutique oil shelf.

vehicles chugging along just fine in my case, no oil leaks, no oil burning issues, nadda.

Q.

On a second thought: maybe perhaps for the sake of bragging rights? *smiles* I bet that my mullah can go much further for the same kind of performance/end results with non-boutique oils in my vehicles....

Originally Posted By: Quest
LOL! it perplexes me no less as to why utilitarian automobile owners debating on PU or PP?

IMHO both already exceeded the original lubricant requirements set by the utilitarian automobile manufacturer standards....

I only feed my utilitarian, low-performance based automobile with PYB or QState green, and never have to even think about so-called boutique oil or PU, PP, Mobil one/2 or whatever comes along on the boutique oil shelf.

vehicles chugging along just fine in my case, no oil leaks, no oil burning issues, nadda.

Q.

On a second thought: maybe perhaps for the sake of bragging rights? *smiles* I bet that my mullah can go much further for the same kind of performance/end results with non-boutique oils in my vehicles....

On my last oil change I went back to QSAD(green bottle), before I was using some closeout PU that I picked up for equal price of PYB. I will not pay more to use a synthetic. But I will pay the same or less to use it.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
After seeing testing data on the new PP and UP, I am not impressed. I am sticking to Mobil 1.

Care to elaborate?

Originally Posted By: Alex38
After seeing testing data on the new PP and UP, I am not impressed. I am sticking to Mobil 1.

Care to elaborate?

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com

This is the only test available that contains all oils on the market. Going by this test data, Mobil 1 was neck and neck with Amsoil 0W30 SS oil and Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum didn't fare that great. Mobil 1 is proven and seems to offer great protection for the price and it's readily available. Mobil 1 is also endorsed and recommended by more automakers than any other oil out there.

I have been using Mobil 1 for over 20 years and have never suffered any oil related failure. I have had great results with Mobil 1 and all of my UOA have come back very favorable through Blackstone labs. If it ain't broke, why bother switching? I haven't seen any concrete test data out there other than Pennzoil's own claims that show Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum to be better than Mobil 1 or Amsoil SS 0W30.

Show me test data that shows Pennzoil's new pure plus technology to be better than Mobil 1 and I will switch tomorrow!!!

Last edited:
Show me test data that shows Pennzoil's new pure plus technology to be better than Mobil 1 and I will switch tomorrow!!!

Have you heard of ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test?

You read this forum long enough, you will find all kinds of opinions, pro and against. But that's mostly what they all are - personal opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back