PP or Super-Teck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I drive a Toyota 4runner and I change my oil every 5,000mi and I was wondering am I really going to notice a difference between PP or W.Mart Super-Tek Synthetic? The S-Tek is about $6.00 less for 5 quarts.

You probably wont tell a difference because you wont be using the synthetic to its full potential by changing out at 5K.

Valvoline, castrol gtx, pennzoil, supertech dino's will get you 5K easily even cheaper

not at 5k....any regular oil can go 5 k....i think youre wasting your money, at least go to 7500 miles...the pennzoil could go 10, 000 miles

Pennzoil Platinum has shown very good uoa's on here and has proven itself to be a very good oil. You can use synthetics and change at 5K intervals if you want, afterall it is your vehicle and your money. But you could get the same results by using dino and changing out at 5K intervals for less. Some people have had good results with supertech as well. Overall consensus I believe, and this is just my opinion, is that Pennzoil Platinum is far better than Supertech.

What are your driving habits? Stop and go, short trips where the oil doesnt get up to temp, long highway runs, etc...?

Last edited:
Are you going by the warranty thing 5K/6months? or just like the 5K intervals?

Agree that with the highway miles you do you could go 7500 on ST and 10K+ on PP if you could or wanted to.

With the amount of miles you do a dino will prob get you 6-7500miles too.

I'd stick with 5k OCIs and look at the following;

Wal-Mart everyday prices;

1. Mobil 5000 or QS @ $8.97 = $179.40 for 100k worth of oil

2. Valvoline @ $9.97 = $199.40 100k

3. Pennzoil, GTX, Halvoline @ $10.97 = $219.40 100k

Any of the above will do your 4 runner fine for as many miles as you want to drive it.
01.gif

Syn is;

Supertech @ $13.48 = $269.60 100k
PP @ $19.94 = $398.80 100k
Mobil 1, Syntec or Valvoline Syn @ $21.94 = $438.80 100k

(all based on 5 quarts, the more you need the more the cost/ savings)

If you get 20 mpg your savings on 100k worth of oil could buy enough gas to drive over 1100 miles if we bought Pennzoil conventional over PP. (at the low low price of $3.20 a gallon for gas...
smirk2.gif
)

Now, if you buy oil on sale cheaper, the numbers of course change. I can get excellent Shell oil for 49 cents a quart and it would do well for 5k. So a oil change would be under $3 for 5k miles. A LOT of $$$ saved there.
thumbsup2.gif

Look around for deals on oil and when you can find some, BUY it and have a little stash. Your Toyota will last with any SM oil out there and 5k OCIs.

Do a UOA for 2 reasons;

Check to see all is OK and MORE IMPORTANT post for all of us geeks here.
20.gif

Welcome to BITOG!
welcome2.gif

Bill
34.gif

camprunner,

do you dislike changing the oil and want to go further between changes? only asking as some people dont like changing the oil so frequently ( i personally love doing it) and want to get under the vehicle as least as possible.

If so syn with 7500 or 10K intervals would have you under there less often.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
camprunner,

do you dislike changing the oil and want to go further between changes? only asking as some people dont like changing the oil so frequently ( i personally love doing it) and want to get under the vehicle as least as possible.

If so syn with 7500 or 10K intervals would have you under there less often.

As far as changing my oil I don't mind it at all except for the fact if I change it at my normal 5K it's like every 2 months. Right now I have about 55K on my Yota-4Runner and I would like to run it to 250K or more. This is why I was changing it with PP every 5K but im thinking this may be overkill.

I think this is why I was thinking about the switch to Super-Teck synthetic and still doing the 5K change???

Im looking at my Blackstone labs kit right in front of me as I type this I guess I should send it in for a test the next oil change.

I don't know why I worry about such things ..... My dad allways ran the cheepest oil he could find as long as it met the requirements and he just changed it often 3 to 5K and he ran all his cars to 250K. I guess im just worried about running the cheepest stuff.

over the course of 100,000 miles you would save maybe 100 bucks using SuperTech.

The real question should be what are you going to do with all that money???

Well, I am sure you could get PP cheaper than Supertech. I believe you can get PP at Advance Auto next week BOGO free. Stock up, and be happy with PP.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Well, I am sure you could get PP cheaper than Supertech. I believe you can get PP at Advance Auto next week BOGO free. Stock up, and be happy with PP.

How much will it be going for??

That is one great engine in the 4runner. Any dino changed at 5k interval will serve that engine well. Heed Bill in Utah's advise and you'll do yourself a huge favor.

Originally Posted By: Cooper

WHOA! Hold on now! How sure are you about the PP at bogo???

I have been waiting forever for the PP to be bogo. Man I cleared so much room in my basement for cases of the stuff, just need the bogo to get here.

I believe the money saved by doing budget minded OCs is enough to do a real service later in the cars life, like a timing belt or a valve adjustment, shocks or whatever.

For the extra $6 I would stay with a well respected national brand over store brand oils like SuperTech. If you follow the sales you can stock up on name brand oils like PP for less than it costs to buy SuperTech.

Right now I have about three years worth of Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower and Havoline Synthetic on hand thanks to sales. My average cost is under $1/quart. Some of it I got free after double rebates.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
For the extra $6 I would stay with a well respected national brand over store brand oils like SuperTech. If you follow the sales you can stock up on name brand oils like PP for less than it costs to buy SuperTech.

Right now I have about three years worth of Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower and Havoline Synthetic on hand thanks to sales. My average cost is under $1/quart. Some of it I got free after double rebates.

I'm a former Super Tech user that has been converted. If you watch for sales a good synthetic you can get for pretty close to SuperTech oil price. But you can go allot longer milage wise.

I have a 1994 GMC Sonoma with 104K miles. I have been wondering the same thing (PP vs. SuperTech). I drive short distances (about three miles to work and three miles back). Which oil should I choose, and what kind of OCI with such short driving distances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back