PP or PUP? Same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been waiting for a sale on Pennzoil to use with the rebates they have going to pick up 5 quarts for the next oil change in my truck. I noticed that WalMart has PUP available for store pickup for $24. With the rebate that would put a 5 quart jug of PUP at $14. My local Napa (maybe a national sale too?) has PP for $23 - $13 after the rebate so virtually the same price. Is there any reason I wouldn’t spring for the PUP? Seems it’s not what the old Pennzoil Ultra used to be, but still seems like a stout oil. This will sit in the sump for a year - no more than 6 or 7k miles.

Unless your application requires Gen 2, go for PUP!
I’ve got the $14 PUP in my Chevy 2500 with 6.0 right now.

For the same price, you might as well go for the PUP
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lukejo

Fairly new here, and researching. I thought I had done well and purchased several 5 qt jugs of 5w-30 PUP - For an EcoBoost application. I am curious why the Gen2 reference? I cant find a VOA specifically for PP within the last couple of years. I believe it has been reformulated since the 2015 VOA I found.

Am I correct to assume the PP still has less Calcium than the PUP? and thus PP is better at preventing LSPI?

Sorry to hijack

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IzzyMan12078
Originally Posted By: lukejo

Fairly new here, and researching. I thought I had done well and purchased several 5 qt jugs of 5w-30 PUP - For an EcoBoost application. I am curious why the Gen2 reference? I cant find a VOA specifically for PP within the last couple of years. I believe it has been reformulated since the 2015 VOA I found.

Am I correct to assume the PP still has less Calcium than the PUP? and thus PP is better at preventing LSPI?

Sorry to hijack

PUP is not certified for Gen 2. I don’t know of a RECENT VOA for PUP, but if LSPI is a concern in your car, I’d stick with PP and not assume anything more than the cert for PUP.

Interestingly enough, Pennzoil recommends PUP then Gold then PU in my 2017 non GDI or NON Turbocharged Nissan Murano...not sure why??? That's in the Premium, standard and alternative rank order in their oil selector. Why do they recommend GOLD over PP and PP as an alternative?

Same recommendation on my MDX. Except that's a GDI engine

Cool - thanks, all. I'm going to go with the PUP, sounds like a no brainer. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any gotchas. This will be run in my '98 GM 350 Vortec, so no Dexos G2 required.

Ron, I am all about PUP as I've run it exclusively in my Fusion for over 80k, but in all honesty you likely won't gain much benefit from either PP or PUP in your case other than peace of mind, especially if you don't run the oil for at least 15k.

350s shed a significant amount of iron, IIRC most averages I see are about 9-11ppm per 1k miles. This would put you at a condemnation limit of about 13-15k based on Doug Hillary's testing for iron limits. Second, 350s aren't particularly hard on oil, especially if yours "marks it's territory" or uses some oil, meaning you're getting frequent top-ups to replenish the additives. Third, Pennzoil Gold is a pretty darn stout oil for a "conventional". If this were my 350 and I had an urge to use synthetic, I would go to a Rural King and get some of their full-syn house branded Citgo synthetic for $10.99/5qts. But, obviously it's your choice, and obviously I'm biased to PUP. So, happy trails PUP is a great choice!

Even after reading the Pennzoil FAQ and these forums, I have yet to figure out what the real difference is between PP and PUP if they’re both the new PurePlus formulation. Is it akin to the Group Ii and Group III formulations of M1 and M1EP where the EP has a higher proportion of III making it a little more durable? Or what?

Not complaining, and the marketing works on me as I’ve got 2 jugs of PUP 5w-20 sitting on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back