PP: If I Only Had Before Pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil in my uncles 2006 Honda Accord VP 2.4 I4. My uncle is notoriously bad with his maintenance and the vehicle is a strict short tripper. Last time I changed the oil (7 months ago) the dipstick had a pretty good coating of varnish on it. Not thick but definite discoloration. I used PP and a Wix 51356 filter. When I changed the oil yesterday I was amazed to see that the varnish was gone period. I looked down the fill hole and it was much cleaner. Since I have been on BITOG I have learned the best oil is usually the one on sale. I switch up all the time and AM NOT brand loyal, but I have to give credit where it's due and Pennzoil Platinum and P-Ultra do clean and perform very well.

Plug over.

Matt (AKA Chubbs)

PP is very good at cleaning. I first tried PP in my E430 in 2008 after 8 years of M1 0W40. The color of M1 0W40 wasn't medium dark until 6-7k miles into the oil change, but PP was very dark after only 3-4k miles. I could not see through the oil fill hole because of the baffle, but the cartridge oil filter holder is very shinny with PP.

When I first used PP in my Cavalier, it removed the varnish off the dipstick in the first OCI. PP does some serious cleaning from what I've seen.

I think im noticing the same with my dads varnished up 93 accord on 2 oci of pennzoil ultra 5w30. Camshaft is starting to look a lot less varnished.

I just don't see varnish removal happening with PP. At least in my application.

Is is the oil filter adapter from my Lumina which has been running PP 5w-30 for the past 40k miles (4 years). I just don't see any removal of varnish.

oilfilteradapter.jpg

This is not a PP bash; just an observation. I've been a Pennzoil fan since the mid-60's and I will continue to use Pennzoil. PP is used exclusively in 4 of 5 of my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

Is is the oil filter adapter from my Lumina which has been running PP 5w-30 for the past 40k miles (4 years). I just don't see any removal of varnish.

oilfilteradapter.jpg

This is not a PP bash; just an observation. I've been a Pennzoil fan since the mid-60's and I will continue to use Pennzoil. PP is used exclusively in 4 of 5 of my vehicles.

How many miles do it run it for? That is pretty sticky looking. Maybe try a pass with Ultra. That did the most cleaning for me out of the SOPUS motor oils.

Originally Posted By: beast3300

oilfilteradapter.jpg

How many miles do it run it for? That is pretty sticky looking. Maybe try a pass with Ultra. That did the most cleaning for me out of the SOPUS motor oils.

I wonder what it looks like inside the Valve Cover.

paulo57509 are you the original owner of this vehicle and have you ever used any Oil Additives too clean this engine.

It cleaned up my Accords dipstick in less then one OCI. PP is good and thats why I continue to use it.

I actually pulled the valve cover on the Accord after the PP run as it cleaned too much and the car started to leak oil lol and it was spotless.

I run Pennzoil/SOPUS products in all my vehicles as you can see from my Sig. PP dominating
wink.gif
Heck the car is filled up with Shell Vpower (well the TL and Maxima)

oilfilteradapter.jpg

OCI is 5k-7.5k miles. I'm not looking to clean up the varnish. I'm just posting up my observation.

Originally Posted By: Bayman

oilfilteradapter.jpg

I wonder what it looks like inside the Valve Cover.

paulo57509 are you the original owner of this vehicle and have you ever used any Oil Additives too clean this engine.

When I pulled the VC's back in 2001 (86k miles) to do the intake manifold gaskets (for an oil leak, not coolant) and replace the oil pump drive seal, it looked pretty much just like the inside of the oil filter adapter.

I'm the second owner. I'm married to the original owner.

This car was filled with Havoline 10w-30 pretty much from when it was purchased as a lease return until it moved to CA from TX when it had accumulated 85k miles (2001). Since the move, it had been filled with PYB 5w-30 until it had accumulated 110k miles when I switched to M1 5w-30 for a few OCI's.

When it had 118k (2005) I filled it with ST dino 10w-30 and did a double Auto Rx treatment. After the Auto Rx treatments were over at 126k, it was filled with PYB until 139k when I made the switch to PP 5w-30. Again, the oil filter adapter looked the same as it did in the photo.

Back in March of 2011, I wanted to see what a 25% MMO with Rotela-T 10w-30 would do for one OCI.....absolutely nothing. It might have done something if I did it for more than a single OCI. This is when the photo was taken.

Now, I'm running PP for good. The presence of varnish doesn't bother me at all. The engine appeared sludge free when the intake manifold was off 10 years ago.

Too bad I can't get Kreen shipped to CA. I think this engine would have been a good test for Kreen and varnish removal.

To the OP: Sorry for the thread hijack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back