PP doesn't meet ACEA A5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new bottle of Pennzoil Platinum - dated July 15, 2013 - does not list the ACEA A5 specification. It states: "Exceeds API SN and all previous catagories; ILSAC GF-5 and ACEA A1/B1". Normally, I figured somebody here on BITOG would have spotted it before now...

Does PP not meet the ACEA A5 specifications??

Maxlife meets ACEA A5, even the blend! Durablend might meet A5 as well, but I haven't seen it in a few years, and definitely not since the SN era.

What a bummer that PP isn't A5, especially since it used to be, and that PP isn't as available as it used to be.

QSUD is A5-02 though.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what viscosity pp?

5w20 wont ever meet it...

5w-30.

It meets the ACEA A5 viscosity requirements. The only ones left that I see are wear, deposits, and shear stability.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Maxlife meets ACEA A5, even the blend! Durablend might meet A5 as well, but I haven't seen it in a few years, and definitely not since the SN era.

What a bummer that PP isn't A5, especially since it used to be, and that PP isn't as available as it used to be.

QSUD is A5-02 though.

Napa and Autozone still carry Durablend.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
what viscosity pp?

5w-30.

It meets the ACEA A5 viscosity requirements. The only ones left that I see are wear, deposits, and shear stability.

What about sulfated ash? A1 and A5 are very close specs.

I'd like the Pennziol market rep that responds on here now and then to tell my why the Pennzoil.com homepage still lists the GF-4/SM product data sheet for Ultra. What are they hiding? Are they making multiple versions of Ultra, some of which may not be using the GTL formulation?

PP just doesn't grab me I'd rather have Ultra although I did buy one OCI's worth at O'Reillys on the cheap. Might as well buy QSUD otherwise and save a few bucks.

PP may well meet this spec.
SOPUS may not have bothered with it in its North American labeling, since for most of us it's just another obscure and unimportant spec.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: Gabe
what viscosity pp?

5w-30.

What about sulfated ash? A1 and A5 are very close specs.

In 2012 ACEA basically upgraded the A1 to be almost identical to the A5 spec.

Originally Posted By: buster
What are they hiding? Are they making multiple versions of Ultra, some of which may not be using the GTL formulation?

Try here, buster. That's the current one, but I really can't verify that independently, since PU is kind of MIA up here.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back