PP 5w30 vs. Synpow 5w30 vs. Napa syn 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth? Nope, this is still as false as it was the last time you posted it.

I don't think dnewton3 will agree with you on that
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Strawdog
Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife 5w30 is A5/B5
I am using it in my 2.7 ecoboost. Switched from PUP. It is a thick 5w30

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/valvoline_full_synthetic_with_maxlife_technology.pdf

Look at that disclaimer. It says **Gasoline engines only. Not for use in diesel engines calling for ACEA A5/B5. In other words, it doesn't meet A5/B5. PP/PUP has no such disclaimer
smile.gif

Also, that's the same reason Castrol gave for their 5w30 not meeting A5/B5 any longer (changes to the diesel part of the standards), but they promised a new formulation coming soon to meet the updated A5/B5.

I am very well aware of this.

It is rated A5/B5 for gasoline. That is what I have. the thread was not talking about diesel oil and it is not in the diesel oil section. Twist is as you like.

The Valvoline does not shear/dilute out of grade in my engine like the PUP does at 5k miles.

I believe I have about 8- 12 QTS of PUP 5w30 siting around. I will give it to you for free if you come pick it up.

SS

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Also, that's the same reason Castrol gave for their 5w30 not meeting A5/B5 any longer (changes to the diesel part of the standards), but they promised a new formulation coming soon to meet the updated A5/B5.

Yes, I've groused about that before, too. The Valvoline product is either A5/B5 or it is not. Castrol seems to understand that not meeting B5 means no A5 either. Of course, Valvoline does have a bit of a point; I can't think of anyone running an A5/B5 oil in a diesel, except by mistake.

If you disseminate carefully Pennzoil Ultra Platinum below claims only meeting the A1 spec in the 2010 Sequence. They're obfuscating such claim with the category prior to dissemination within the properties. That's non-compliant and 5 years past due. This oil could not be sold in Europe with such claim.

Here, out of those oils I'd run PP.
On your side of the border though, price does enter into it more so than here.
At the right price differential, I'd run any of the oils you've listed.
Ignore all of the notional ACEA standards claimed.
We don't really use them in North America and anyone can claim anything.
Unlike API, ACEA has no enforcement capability, while API can and does sue those who falsely claim an API license.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That's a strange one, too. Well, you could, but there could be consequences of some sort.
wink.gif

There should be but since NA oils fall under API certs I doubt there's any recourse ACEA might levy as long as same is not sold in markets under ACEA purview. Pennzoil Platinum would probably meet whatever quasi ACEA standards PUP is stating, but from a marketing angle, Shell wants that distinction to set it apart.

Its such a narrow margin on all those; all good oils. Truthfully, your engine won't care less. I wouldn't hesitate to run any of them, but I'd run the PP out of those probably, however if the Synpower were of the Maxlife flavor instead, I'd run that over the PP,

Looking again at that sheet, it's probably within regulations, given when it was done up. I think they've got somewhere around two years use out of the ACEA stuff (and look how late the last revisions came out; there was a big, big delay), so that looks all in order, despite it looking like someone just mashed the keyboard with the palm of their hand when typing the ACEA portion. Half of that gibberish could be deleted, more in fact. Put A5/B5 and be done with it. A5/B5 2012 were current for that sheet date, so no need to add extraneous, irrelevant information.

There are probably at least a hundred people on BITOG who could do a better job with data sheets and would do it for free, just to have the privilege of seeing the information. Yet, oil companies pay staffers to come up with some of this tripe?

Yep, about as clear as mud. What I do know is PUP's spec sheet is out of compliance with ATIEL's Code of Practice. What I do not know is was this oil subject to all the non ATSM tests, i.e. CEC, GFC, under ACEA certification. Certainly Valvoline with their ACEA claim mentioned above is bogus.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Certainly Valvoline with their ACEA claim mentioned above is bogus.

Somewhat off topic, but maybe it's time to pare off the B5 from the A5. The B5 part seems to cause a lot of problems for the oil companies, for so few applications. On the other hand, I'd wonder how an FA-4 5w-30 would fare under such testing. The HTHS is about right, and I'm sure such a lube can handle biodiesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back