PP 5w30 vs. Castrol Edge 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would ask which would reduce engine wear better but with 8X better wear protection I guess it goes without saying lol

PP has already proven itself. Edge is the new kid on the block, and there aren't too many UOA's or reports in general. Having said that I would stick with PP.

If the engine had a tendancy to chew up oil, the Edge has a higher TBN. Otherwise it might be moot.

Not sure about cleaning.

I like the Pennzoil Platinum, plus it's Turbo rated! Gotta love that...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ryland
Which would clean better and hold up better to a 7500mile OCI
Neither. You want a REAL synthetic oil for your money - not a semi-syn like PP or BP. Off the shelf at your local AP store: Mobil M1 Racing 4T synthetic; OTW, pick a Redline street product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland
Which would clean better and hold up better to a 7500mile OCI
In what machine? Moot point anyway - there exist no statistically relevant data available (to us) from which we could pick a winner. The oil companies prob have varnish/sludge buildup and clean out in gram weight for test engines and they are NOT sharing because we pick products in the dark - and they want to KEEP it that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
RE cut open filter of M1 5w-20:
At least its in the filter. You claiming clean up or breakdown?

Clean-up.

My subsequent run with TDT 5w40 yielded more junk in the media.

stratapore06.jpg

Note that this is a Fleetguard StrataPore filter, so the media is dense synthetic glass fibre, so the junk is actually IN the media, its pretty neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
OVERK1LL:
Is this Expedition a new (used) truck purchase for you - or R U just changing lubricant direction?

Used, purchased with 150,000Km on it back in March.

Cool. I had been looking for a TD expedition but could only find V10's in the "bargain bin" at my Ford outlet. Good luck on that vehicle.

OVERK1LL, you should know that an engine run on dino doesn't get dirty... so how can synthetic do any cleaning... It's your imagination
smirk2.gif

Pictures hold the truth!
grin2.gif

Cool. I had been looking for a TD expedition but could only find V10's in the "bargain bin" at my Ford outlet. Good luck on that vehicle.

I think you are thinking Excursion.

This has the 5.4L V8, which was the larger engine of the two offered in this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: webfors
OVERK1LL, you should know that an engine run on dino doesn't get dirty... so how can synthetic do any cleaning... It's your imagination
smirk2.gif

Pictures hold the truth!
grin2.gif

Hhahhahhaahha
grin2.gif

OVERK1LL, do you think all of that was from Mobil 1 cleaning up what was left behind from conventional oil? Just curious as to what oils were used previously. AN's supposedly have high solvency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back