PP 5w30 vs. Castrol Edge 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
OVERK1LL, do you think all of that was from Mobil 1 cleaning up what was left behind from conventional oil? Just curious as to what oils were used previously.

I do.

I have no idea what oil was used prior to us owning it. It was probably a bulk conventional of some sort.

I've never had this kind of junk in the filters from the Mustang, Lincoln, dad's Lincoln, or mom's Expedition.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I do.

I have no idea what oil was used prior to us owning it. It was probably a bulk conventional of some sort.

I've never had this kind of junk in the filters from the Mustang, Lincoln, dad's Lincoln, or mom's Expedition.

And yet people doubt M1 ?!?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I do.

And yet people doubt M1 ?!?
grin2.gif

You've seen the pictures I've posted. The filter from mine, vs the filter from my mom's. Both vehicles have the same mileage, same (current) OCI's. Mom's has had M1 since the warranty was up and it no longer got free oil changes.

But for those who don't know what I'm talking about, here they are:

1. K&N Filter from my mom's Expedition, ~10,000Km on it. 160,000Km on the truck.
filter09.jpg

2. Motorcraft filter from my Expedition, ~10,000Km on it. 160,000Km on the truck.
motorcraft02.jpg

And what was in the bottom of the can. You can see more of the grit I have on my filter and found between the pleats in the bottom of the can:
motorcraft01.jpg

Mom's oil was also a lighter colour than mine. Which makes sense given the carbon in my oil.

So if I was going to choose a oil for a new car to run 5000-7500 mile OCI I should choose??????

Castrol edge or Pennzoil Platnium?

I've used PP in other cars and I do like it but the rebel in me wants to try the unknown lol!! Plus I dig their website

Last edited:
I would use whatever is the least expensive of the two when you go to buy. I buy oil on sale, and have enough for the next 2 years until I need to shop again. PP will usually be less expensive and perfect for an oci of 7.5k miles.

Overkill, I wish that was a separate post.

Or maybe when you've gone through another OCI or two you can make one.

Very interesting to me, I've never seen a filter with that much junk. Glad to see progress is being made in cleaning.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Cool. I had been looking for a TD expedition but could only find V10's in the "bargain bin" at my Ford outlet. Good luck on that vehicle.

I think you are thinking Excursion.

This has the 5.4L V8, which was the larger engine of the two offered in this vehicle.
Sorry, you're right. F250 chassis suv is the excursion. Too many E names!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back