PP 5w30 vs 5w20

Ndx

Hi Guys, Another question Car is speced for 5w20 Can I use PP5w30 its more available ... WM don't cary 5w20 in Jugs Thank You for help

Last edited:
If this is for your mazda3, the owners manual says you can use 5w-30 if 5w-20 is not available. (Mine does anyway) I use a 30 weight in mine because the engine is smoother.

Ndx

Oh really .. ? I don't have anything like this in my Manual ... Maybe because my is 2004 ?:) Thx Anyways. How do you like that Valvoline Syn ?

Ndx

Well today is 30C! Beside its not really about heat.. Its more about Price .. and availability... If 5w30 is safe same as 5w20 I rather get cheaper 5w30 .. :)

Last edited:
5w-30 will be fine. I like the SynPower, and the price in a 5qt is right. Not much difference from PP, in the Highlander.

Last edited:
My 07 Focus is spected fo 5-20 but I use M1 5-30, Because I'm set in my ways. Also Mobil tech said 5-30 is no problem for the Focus. It's a cafe thing.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
If 5w30 is safe same as 5w20 I rather get cheaper 5w30 .. :)
I would say so. The only downside might be slight decrease in fuel economy, but it's probably small enough that you won't even notice.

The flow properties of a synthetic 5w30 are very similar to a conventional 5w20. As long as u are using synthetic ur engine will be extremely happy. If u wish to run a conventional 5w30, then i would only do that in summer, but synthetic 5w30 is great to run all year. for example, do a google search for Pennzoil viscosity and look at the cold MRV etc and compare synthetic tables and conventional tables and you will see what i mean. the engine does not read what is on the label, the engine only knows the physical property of the oil, and the physical cold property of synthetic 5w30 is a match for physical cold properties of conventional 5w20. Once the oil is at operating temperature, the difference between cSt of 8.5 vs 10.5, to an engine, means absolutely nothing, a very very minor change in viscosity that will mean the difference of a tiny fraction of a mile per gallon. WalMart does carry the SuperTech 5w20 synthetic in jugs, and that is what I would use in the winter, for PHENOMENAL cold performance.

Last edited:
The PP 5W-30 wouldn't hurt anything. But they do have 5W-20 PP in jugs here in the states I believe. I see you're near Hamilton and could always perform a cross border raid. And Motorcraft syn blend 5W-20 is also excellent. Is that available?

Patman

Staff member
If price is a concern, why not just run a conventional 5w20 instead of synthetic? You could get a 4.4L jug of conventional 5w20 for around $15 on sale up here.