PP 5w30 v. 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any major differences between these two viscosities of PP? I came across this post of Terry's and am wondering why he singled out 10w30. Can 5w30 be expected to offer the same valvetrain protection that he says the 10w30 version of this oil provides?

Can you copy and paste the post that Terry made. I would like to see what application it is referring to.

I would not hesitate using the 5W-30 where 5W-30 is called for.

post it, post it!!
20.gif

Probably because it has a higher HTHS (marginally), and a lower noack and lower VI. Should be more stout than the 5w30. In real conditions I don't think there would be much difference between the two. I wouldn't use the 10w30 in our cold winters though.

Sorry guys, I meant to post it in the op, but forgot. Here it is:

Originally Posted By: Terry
Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 is one of the most stable, low wearing lubricants you could purchase right now from a Major formulator. The additive package is very advanced and does NOT rely on ZDDP to make it work in boundary and mixed lubrication regimes.
High Valve Spring Loads are not a scary thing for this chemistry.

Shell is turning it up a few notches and this is but one example. I have no doubts your VT noise is less. I see plenty less VT wear in my customers running this oil.

I'm not sure what vehicle he was testing this on or what other oils he was comparing it to, but if the requirements/recommendation from the manufacture is 5W-30 I would expect the same protection from 5W-30 Platinum.

10w30 and 5w30 are both spec'd for my Honda Prelude. I'd rather use the 5w30 if it's going to give the same valvetrain protection.

Based on some discussions that I've had with Terry, he likes the 10w-30 better than the 5w-30, at least in some applications, because it is more resistent to shearing, less VII (I think I've got this right). In my case it was a fuel dilution issue that was thinning the oil and the 10w-30 was supposed to handle the application better. I had the first round of 10w-30 sitting in the garage when I traded the car...

10W-30 is definitely the "stouter" oil, I wouldn't think twice about using it in warmer climates.

I noticed the flash point was higher for PP 10w-30.

Flash Point of PP 5w-30 is 224°C
Flash Point of PP 10w-30 is 240°C

This is from Pennzoil data sheet on there web site.

What was the date of Terry's post?

Wasn't the initial formulation of PP some "extreme quality" base stock unlike any other? Then, about a year later they changed to a more mundane group 3 base?

Am I imagining this?

I know that on paper the 10w30 should be more shear stable than the 5w30, and I really hate to contradict Terry, but in my experience so far with running PP 5w30 in my Corvette the viscosity has stayed nice and strong, finishing up at 11.0 cst even after 7000 miles. So in a case like that, what benefit would I get going to the 10w30? IMO, none. And since I like to stick with the same oil year round, I'm definitely better off running 5w30, especially when it can get down below 0F in the winter. So from where I sit, the 5w30 appears to be the best choice, as it can do everything the 10w30 can in terms of retaining it's viscosity, and has the edge when it comes to cold cranking performance.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I know that on paper the 10w30 should be more shear stable than the 5w30, and I really hate to contradict Terry, but in my experience so far with running PP 5w30 in my Corvette the viscosity has stayed nice and strong, finishing up at 11.0 cst even after 7000 miles. So in a case like that, what benefit would I get going to the 10w30? IMO, none. And since I like to stick with the same oil year round, I'm definitely better off running 5w30, especially when it can get down below 0F in the winter. So from where I sit, the 5w30 appears to be the best choice, as it can do everything the 10w30 can in terms of retaining it's viscosity, and has the edge when it comes to cold cranking performance.

WOW. Considering that oil starts out with a 100C cSt of 10.2, something is causing it to burn off or thicken up.

Synthetic oils tend to have a lighter or thinner texture then dino, The real main difference between 5w30 and 10w30 would be the viscosity during startup temperature.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

WOW. Considering that oil starts out with a 100C cSt of 10.2, something is causing it to burn off or thicken up.

Not likely. The published specs on an oil aren't always exactly what they end up being once in production, as I've found out from a few VOAs I have had done over the years.

My Corvette's engine also doesn't have a history of radically thickening up oils, so I believe PP 5w30's starting viscosity is probably around 10.5 to 10.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back