PP 5W30, 4862 miles, '03 Toyota Sienna 75k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, first time post here. I just had an oil analysis done on my Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 that I ran from July 2010 to April 2011. 4862 miles, 90%+ in town driving, cold winter too (I live in Michigan). I was surprised at how well this oil held up. I like Pennzoil synthetics, they are priced reasonable at Wallyworld in the 5 quart jug. I just switched to PP 5W20 for this change, want to see if the fuel economy improves at all. Also with all the cold starts and short trips, I thought the lighter oil would help.

Here are the notes from the Blackstone:

Sometimes we see extra wear from an engine that does a lot of city driving, but that's not really the
case here. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,700 miles on
the oil. That's pretty close to what you ran and wear metals compare nicely to averages. That's a good
indication that this engine is doing just fine mechanically. 1.8% of the sample was fuel. It lowered the
viscosity, but neither is really a problem. The TBN was a strong 2.8, showing plenty of active additive. Less
than 1.0 is too low. Try 7,000 miles on the next oil.

Aluminium: 3
Chromium: 0
Iron: 7
Copper: 4
Lead: 0
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 49
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 28
Silicon: 9
Sodium: 15
Calcium: 2367
Magnesium: 11
Phosphorus: 607
Zinc: 776
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity at 210F: 53.7
cSt Viscosity at 100C: 8.39
Flashpoint in F: 330
Fuel: 1.8%
Antifreeze: 0.0%
Water: 0.0%
Insolubles: 0.3%
TBN 2.8

I will be trying another 5k drain interval to check the 5W20 weight. Not sure it matters, but the filter on this oil change was the cheap Fram Orange. I have upgraded to NAPA Gold #1516 - a longer filter than stock. The accessability for the stock shorter filter brought my hands way to close to the exhaust manifold.

Comments encouraged and appreciated!

Brad

nice report! Short tripping and fuel are oil killers. PP seems to handle those conditions nicely.

Look at how the add pack dropped for PP, calcium used to be close to 3000ppm, either way it doesn't seem to have made any difference in your wear #'s. Nice UOA! Thanks for posting, Pennzoil makes really high quality stuff.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Look at how the add pack dropped for PP, calcium used to be close to 3000ppm, either way it doesn't seem to have made any difference in your wear #'s. Nice UOA! Thanks for posting, Pennzoil makes really high quality stuff.

Its a [censored] Report... Not always sure about the add pack numbers they get. Can often be radically different from another lab or even a different month at [censored].

^Did the OP pull a sample immediately after a highway run to full temp(20+ miles round trip)? I wonder if that would have changed his fuel dilution.

i ran synpower for a year on my dad 03 sienna. ALL city with probably 7500 miles. the oil looked fantastic when drained and none was burned off....

PP is just getting into it's stride at that mileage. It's good to at least 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
i ran synpower for a year on my dad 03 sienna. ALL city with probably 7500 miles. the oil looked fantastic when drained and none was burned off....

Why did you bump such "fantastic" oil then?
33.gif

I warmed up the engine with around a 20 mile country drive. This vehicle does not get on the highway much. We have some summer trips planned this year, so I want to test again and see how the fuel % looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back