PP 5w30, 3541 miles, 2008 Mazdaspeed3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my first UOA on my 2008 Mazdaspeed3 2.3L DISI Turbo.

I've ran PP 5w30 since the second oil change and usually change it every 4500 - 5000 miles. This sample is from combined city and highway driving, and few spirited launches. No hard racing though. I use Motorcraft oil filters since are the closest match to OEM filters.

Let me know if guys want more details about the engine, driving, etc. Any input is appreciated.

uoa-1.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Sheared down to a 5w-20 after only 3,541 miles? What is the cause?

Probably due to his 2.3L DISI turbo engine. I won't worry about a thing. It's a good UOA.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Too thin for that Specific output. Try a ACEA A3/B3/4 LL01 Syn 5w-40 or whatever is working in the DISI - if anything!

Mazda recommends (via a TSB) a 5w-40 now due to turbo seal and PCV issues on that motor. Snag one and never look back, these things are rough on oil due to fuel dilution and the long stroke and heat generated.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
You should try a stouter oil like German Castrol 0W-30.

I'm currently running PP 10w30, but I may be switching to Rotella T6 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Not a bad UOA, but has taken a beating from fuel.

brandini, where is this TSB?

I can't find the actual TSB but here's text copy of it.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748066

Originally Posted By: pipe
Originally Posted By: bodeh6
You should try a stouter oil like German Castrol 0W-30.

I'm currently running PP 10w30, but I may be switching to Rotella T6 5w40.

Not a bad UOA, but has taken a beating from fuel.

brandini, where is this TSB?

I can't find the actual TSB but here's text copy of it.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748066

The 5w-40 was recommended to people having smoking issues due to the PCV design. After 2008 model they redesign the PCV and the 5w-40 does not apply anymore.At least while you are under warranty...

I'm not kidding when I ask this: Has anyone run M1 15w50 in this?

This engine/application is one of the worst I've seen in a stock street motor on oils. 15w50 is perfectly suitable for these types of engines, and I feel like it'd be a far better solution than "Oh, I'll try to "thick" german castrol" or other options.

Ran 15w50 down to 40 degrees in my stock 08 Legacy GT (another engine hard on oils, but not nearly as hard as the MS3)....UOA showed great results, as far as can be determined by UOA.

The viscosity looks low due to fuel dillution, the flash point is very low which indicates fuel in the oil. Wear looks great. I'd check into the TSB and if it applies then you could try a 5W-40. Otherwise the current oil seemed to work well and wear wasn't affected by the lower viscosity.

Ive given it serious thought as I suspect it would hold up to fuel shear possibly to 7500 miles and Im guessing it has NOAK around 7, maybe less. The latter would help mitigate the valve deposit issues. My concerns with the oil are the cold flow (need something down to -15F), reduced MPG, and reduced power.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
The viscosity looks low due to fuel dillution, the flash point is very low which indicates fuel in the oil.

Might an HDEO oil such as Rotella 0W40 hold up better in the presence of fuel?
21.gif

Photographic internet evidence shows M1 0w40 to be one of the more valve depositing oils.

And we know what dyson says about using m1 0w40 in DI engines:

"reb03, the M1 0w40 should not be run longer than 1000 miles to be safe.. Audi and BMW know they are having problems but are marketing tied to certain LARGE oil company that sponsors BITOG thus they cannot speak out about it."

"reb03, I have customers running BMW5w30, M1 0w40 all with the same effect, the wear control is good if we change the oil at 1000 mile intervals but the deposit formation from REAL volatility issues are slowly damaging the engines. I just worked a 07 335 Biturbo yesterday USING ASTM lab tests on the used oil and M1 0w40 went from VOA flash of 430+F to 280 F in 1150 miles, oil sheared to 12.1 cSt and fuel was at 1.99% by IR."

Found in this thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...1179#Post981179

I would use an ester based oil. The top two performing oils in terms of shear and flashpoint retention in the VW 2.0 FSI are ester-based (by ester based I mean "ester-containing" beyond just an additive level). The one exception is the one excellent run of Brad Penn 10w30 that we have in the database.

Last edited:
How are you liking that speed3? The speed3 looks great on paper, but I heard the ride is supposedly really rough.

I think the RL 5w40 does give good protection and doesn't seem to impact turbo spool up despite being a thick 40 weight.

There are also quite a few oils where we don't have enough info. to really evaluate them in fuel-diluting DI turbos IMO and they may do well: Amsoil DEO, Ren. Lubes Biosyn 5w40, Brad Penn 10w30 (I tried 10w40 but it made my car sluggish), Motul 300v and possibly X-lite 0W30.

In terms of evaluating an oil for these types of cars, doing UOAs to evaluate oil condition at around the 5000-7000 mile mark is wise IMO (assuming mixed city/highway use).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back