PP 5w30, 2012 Xterra, 4213 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my daily driver, but it doesn't go very far each day as you can see from the miles on unit. I purchased new and took delivery on 1/2/2013. First change after factory fill was dealer bulk, which I was told is Kendall semi-synthetic, and used Nissan filter. This report is for the second oil change for the vehicle. Filter used was Nissan brand from dealer. Refilled with same oil and used a Fram Toughguard filter.

Blackstone comments: High copper and silicon are just lingering from wear-in, so they
should improve next time, even with more miles, and the oil is in good shape physically, with a TBN of 3.0.
Averages are based on ~5,700 miles of oil use, so try 6,000 miles on your next run. If it looks good, you
could go even longer after that. Nice report here!

Code:
MI on Oil 4,213

MI on Unit 10,240

Sample Date 06/28/14

Make Up Oil Added 0 quarts

Oil Type Pennzoil Platinum 5W30

Universal Avgs

ALUMINUM 6 4

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 18 11

COPPER 23 7

LEAD 1 3

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 56 75

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 2 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 1

POTASSIUM 3 2

BORON 4 45

SILICON 31 17

SODIUM 4 45

CALCIUM 2290 2191

MAGNESIUM 11 179

PHOSPHORUS 600 685

ZINC 699 807

BARIUM 1 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 56.6

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.25

Flashpoint in °F 405

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles 0.1

TBN 3.0

Whoa...slow down there bud! Your going to have that thing wore out before it's paid for!
smile.gif

It looks good. The wear metals seem low for so few engine miles. Your TBN suggests there's plenty of miles left to extend if you want to.

check inside the intake track for dust. I think you have a leak. or bad filter seal or filter. ooops didn't see the low miles. nevermind.

Last edited:
My main concern was the oil was shearing or additives wearing out due to the short trips, typically about 12 miles per day. Glad to see it holding up so well. I figured Pennzoil Platinum was up to the task, but had to make sure.

As for the silicon, I will be watching that. I hope to see it reduced by nearly half next time. I do have an AEM Dry Flow filter installed. Seems to have a good seal in the air box, so I am hoping that the silicon is indeed from the new engine break-in and not a sign that the filter is not as efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back