PP 5w20 or Motorcraft 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question.. What would be the better oil in the ford modular 4.6 v8
Motorcraft or PP
Myself and my brother can't agree on this answer but we both agree that whatever everyone on Bitog votes that is good enough..
Also even know those engines call for 5w20 how many of you use 5w30 in those engines?

Either oil you mentioned would work fine. Either oil will protect your engine wonderfully & keep it clean with good OCI's. The PP does have a stronger additive package and is entirely groupIII, so just by quality it should last a bit longer in terms of OCI. If your engine is already dirty a bit inside, it should also provide better detergency.

PP will allow longer oil change intervals.
MC should be changed sooner than PP, but then there is the advantage of more frequent flushing.
This is the main consideration.

Many still use 10W30, in fact taxi/livery fleets do with outstanding results. In my case PP required extra 1/2 quart per 1k highway miles on 2001 CVPI that does not need it anymore since return to Mobil 1.
MC is an excellent product and my vote is for MC. If I could change my oil I would go with MC without hesitation be it a full syn, mix or dino.

It is made by $Conoco *to Ford specifications*

This is the important part people forget: specifications. It does not really matter who makes what as long as it is not up to task.
All Companies will get away with anything they could unless they are presented with a list of specs. So, when somebody says that a filter is done by WIX, a battery by $Variable1, oil by $Variable2 it does not mean much unless you know the specs. Motorcraft battery is made by the same company that does Interstate yet MC has more plates and the Pb purity is specified.

No argument there. The argument is the price differential of the 2 excellent products. Take into account the price for the added oil if that's the case.
Amsoil also 'meets' everything in its own tricky way. And I was happy with it.

MC is made for..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Many still use 10W30, in fact taxi/livery fleets do with outstanding results. In my case PP required extra 1/2 quart per 1k highway miles on 2001 CVPI that does not need it anymore since return to Mobil 1.
MC is an excellent product and my vote is for MC. If I could change my oil I would go with MC without hesitation be it a full syn, mix or dino.

It is made by $Conoco *to Ford specifications*

This is the important part people forget: specifications. It does not really matter who makes what as long as it is not up to task.
All Companies will get away with anything they could unless they are presented with a list of specs. So, when somebody says that a filter is done by WIX, a battery by $Variable1, oil by $Variable2 it does not mean much unless you know the specs. Motorcraft battery is made by the same company that does Interstate yet MC has more plates and the Pb purity is specified.

Jonson Controls for the battery manufacture.

It really is up to you and how many miles you wish to go between service. I have put 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40 in the mod 4.6 for different reasons. You aren't going to break it with 5w30, if it was mine I would use 5w20. I vote PP>MC, however price and performance goes to MC.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Motorcraft or PP
Myself and my brother can't agree on this answer but we both agree that whatever everyone on Bitog votes that is good enough..
Also even know those engines call for 5w20 how many of you use 5w30 in those engines?

Pennzoil Platinum, I believe it has better cleaning abilities than the Motorcraft Oil.

Motorcraft is a bargain at Walmart. 5qt for $11.50.

You also have the security of knowing it is a perfect match for your Ford engine.

You cannot go wrong with PP, but I'm not sure its worth the premium.

Let's see, $11.50 for 5000 miles or $23 for 7500 miles. To me, PP is not worth the added cost. MC5w20 is great oil for the money. I am not convinced that PP is that much better of an oil.

I have seen too many UOA's that show MC doing as good or better than PP (in the Ford Modular motors).

Originally Posted By: sw99
Let's see, $11.50 for 5000 miles or $23 for 7500 miles. To me, PP is not worth the added cost. MC5w20 is great oil for the money. I am not convinced that PP is that much better of an oil.

I have seen too many UOA's that show MC doing as good or better than PP (in the Ford Modular motors).

Plus, IMO and in the right circumstances, you could probably go 7500 with the MC. And 10K with the PP.

without a comprehensive study of both oils in this application, any reply is all just a guess on anyones part, BITOG member or not. The op should put wear and part counts and tbn retention into a spreadsheet from UOA history here and decide that way. Or whichever lube gives better engine response and fuel mileage if you dont trust UOA data.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
without a comprehensive study of both oils in this application, any reply is all just a guess on anyones part, BITOG member or not. The op should put wear and part counts and tbn retention into a spreadsheet from UOA history here and decide that way. Or whichever lube gives better engine response and fuel mileage if you dont trust UOA data.

I would go with plan B you suggested. Using UOAs to decide is between the two is the last thing I would do. Both are top notch OTC well regarded oils; Pick your OCI for the oil you choose and press on. The engine won't wear out because you chose 1 oil over the other.

Originally Posted By: sw99

True, but when I got PP for 1.00 quart, it's hard to beat! I have an 2004 MGM (Mercury Grand Marquis) and I've used both oils. Both are very good - personally I prefer the PP just slightly over the Motorcraft.
If price is a concern, by all means use the Motorcraft. But even at 23.00 for 5 quarts, I think PP is an excellent choice.
I've only ever used 5W-20 in this car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

The engine won't wear out because you chose 1 oil over the other.

Excellent point, I strongly agree!

PYB and MC are comparable (in both quality and price) for a 5K OCI. PP is a better oil and is more suited for longer OCI's.
I would use the MC (or PYB) and change more frequently.

I used MC 5W20 in my 01 Escape for 135k and switched to PP 5W20 from my 06 Mustang GT stash when I did a change and discovered I was out of MC. I think both are great but I'll vote for PP. I would recommend the 5W20 over 5W30, especially if your 4.6 is an 05 or later with the variable cam.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Motorcraft or PP

Which Motorcraft are we talking about? They come in Synthetic Blend and Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back