PP 5w20 or 5w30 for an '09 Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting this for my friend. He is making the switch to synthetic next week and decided to go with Pennzoil Platinum. He just isn't sure what grade to go for.

- 2.4L engine, auto
- will be using the same grade all year
- 80-90% city driving
- winters average at about 35 degrees
- summer highs of high 80's to 90's
- OCI every 6 months, about 6k on oil

Honda's factory fill is 5w20 on the 2.4L.

So what would you say?

Owner's manual is your friend. Why guess?
54.gif

Thanks guys. He was only concerned because he felt the 5w20 was only stated for fuel economy reasons and if a 30 weight would be better, he would have went that direction.

Thanks for the replies!

Jigen,

Check your owners manual. My oil cap on my Santa Fe says 5w20, but the technical manual calls for 5w30 up to a 20w50 depending on climactic conditions I will be driving in.

If Honda is ok with the 5w20 up to 100oF I would use it with confidence.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jigen
He was only concerned because he felt the 5w20 was only stated for fuel economy reasons and if a 30 weight would be better, he would have went that direction.

While it is true that the 5w30 PP will protect the engine better during periods of hight temp high load operation, the 5w20 will better protect his manufacturer's warranty...so I'd use the 5w20 during the warranty period, then upgrade to PP 5w30 thereafter.

Run either one with confidence. If it were me I would do the 30wt. You live in a mild climate, no super cold starts, the summers are fairly warm, the 5w-30 makes sense. I've been running a straight 30wt in my overpriced Honda for nearly 60,000 miles now.

I'd do 5w20 in winter and 5w30 in summer. It's what I do with my wifes Accord with no problems.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'd do 5w20 in winter and 5w30 in summer. It's what I do with my wifes Accord with no problems.

That's also exactly what I'm doing with my 09 Corolla S. I also have some M1 0w30 due to a rebate, planning to use that sometime during the winter as well.

xW-30w certainly won't hurt anything! If he feels more comfortable running it, he should go right ahead.

As mentioned, the M1 $10 rebate on 5qt 0W-30 might be worth pursuing. Combine the rebate with Autozone's M1 oil + filter deal and he'd be getting quality filter for free.

Since the Accord is still under warranty I'd use what is stated on the oil cap. After the warrenty is out then you can experiment a little on different grades. For a all year one type of oil I'd run the lightest oil possible to increase my economy.
The 5W-20 appears to be a good oil weight.

Durango

Originally Posted By: StevieC
5w20, the engineers know your engine best... If not then they just waited a ton of money on school!
thumbsup2.gif

I would certainly like to hear what Honda engineers have to say.

What is in the manual is a compromise postion between engineering,marketing and legal.

Approved by the Big Wigs who have to weigh CAFE,CARB, EPA, and BSUSA.

Seriously there is very little difference. If you have a new car warranty protect it. The automaker has an obligation to cover your emmissions and engine to a certain point so you have an obligation to use the fluids the manufacturer specs.

I have no issue with using either but you should consider the obligations you have and you would expect. I personally think 5w20 is a better built oil but 5w30 will suffice but I wouldn't have any illusions of better proterction and you risk some deposit formation and loss in economy. (I have NAPA 5w30 synthetic in the stockpile so I will probably use it.

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
Originally Posted By: StevieC
5w20, the engineers know your engine best... If not then they just waited a ton of money on school!
thumbsup2.gif

I would certainly like to hear what Honda engineers have to say.

What is in the manual is a compromise postion between engineering,marketing and legal.

Approved by the Big Wigs who have to weigh CAFE,CARB, EPA, and BSUSA.

Couldn't have said it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back