PP 5W20 Mazda 3 2.3L 6000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
no warm up. started the car and put her on the ramp, which could explain the fuel.

mzr4uoa.jpg

I'm surprised the TBN is not higher considering the engine, the OCI, and the good oil. Does it do a lot of short trips?

There is considerable amount of fuel in the last 3 samples. That often goes hand-in-hand with reduced oil life. If those 3 samples were taken without engine warmup first, that puts a likely link in the fuel trend.

It was in service about 10months in a 4 season climate. That's not too bad. It could have made 1 year, don't you think, JAG?

What oils were run on the previous Uoas? 10 months is a long time. Think I would dump every 6k.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It was in service about 10months in a 4 season climate. That's not too bad. It could have made 1 year, don't you think, JAG?

Yeah, it's not too bad. It had life left in it too. It just has less TBN than I would have predicted. I have high regard for PP's TBN retention so now I predict that the car does many short trips. I could be proven wrong again if the OP tells us.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
What oils were run on the previous Uoas? 10 months is a long time. Think I would dump every 6k.

This was 6,000 miles? It took 10 months to get there though. The oil should be just fine.

Originally Posted By: FZ1

Mobil 1 5w20 for a couple of them. One of them was Mobil 1 5w30. Definite improvement switching to PP! Takes me awhile to rack up miles. 30k sum miles on a 5 year old car. haha!

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Yeah, it's not too bad. It had life left in it too. It just has less TBN than I would have predicted. I have high regard for PP's TBN retention so now I predict that the car does many short trips. I could be proven wrong again if the OP tells us.

Yeah, my driving is 90% city 10% hwy. Work is only 15min away and i do move the car closer to the building which would definitely be a short trip.

The oil is holding up pretty well which is why they suggested trying 7500 miles.

Good TBN and stayed in grade. Did good for rougher city driving.

Is it spec'd for 5-20 or 5-30?

Yep, that's abusive 6k city miles. Engine most likely never reaches operating temperature. PP is holding up well. Good choice of oil for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back