PP 5w20 / M1 5w20, 10,773Mi, 2005 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest UOA for my 2005 Honda CR-V. The first 4500 miles of this run were covered over two weeks on a road trip from California to Alabama with stops in between and the end of July through early August. I knew these miles would be relatively easy on this engine so I figured I'd go about another 6000 miles of mostly city driving and call in the dogs on this one and see where things were. I finished using the last of my Mobil 1 (2 qts ~2007 production) and the rest (3.2ish qts) was recent production Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. A blue Purolator PureOne 14610 pulled filter duty. It looks like this oil easily had another 3-4000 miles in it at this point so depending on the kind of miles this new OCI sees I will probably let it go at least 10000 miles and then pull a sample with a vacuum pump to see how much longer I can leave it in. This car serves my wife and children on a daily basis and generally sees 3 miles at a time and then just enough time to completely cool before it drives another 3 miles home. We manage to get it out of town for a good highway trip every month or so and it takes us up into the Sierra Nevada and out into the Mojave Desert a dozen or so times each year along with a few other wilderness trips here and there. It's apparent that my (and my wife's) efforts to absolutely minimize cold idling has paid off in longer oil life and less fuel dilution as we no longer see evidence of it like we did back when I did my first UOA on this car. If I get around to connecting the wiring to the engine block heater I may manage to get some semi-warm starts and see what that does to oil life just for kicks.

20100207CRVUOA.png

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Don't you know that mixing such drastically different oils will destroy your engine?!

LOL! Nice report, so much for mixing oils messing up ad packs.

For the sarcastic ones, just because it did well doesn't mean a non-mixed brew wouldn't have performed even better. Mixed oil brews don't do any harm, but that doesn't mean they perform as well, either.

Nice results. I agree, would have easily done another 3-4k.

FP is a little low, probably from the short trips, but it doesn't seem to have hurt anything.....

Originally Posted By: badtlc
For the sarcastic ones, just because it did well doesn't mean a non-mixed brew wouldn't have performed even better. Mixed oil brews don't do any harm, but that doesn't mean they perform as well, either.

So what, this is still a great report. And your point doesn't mean that a non-mixed brew WOULD have performed better either. Who knows, maybe the OP has stumbled upon the ultimate blend
04.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

So what, this is still a great report. And your point doesn't mean that a non-mixed brew WOULD have performed better either. Who knows, maybe the OP has stumbled upon the ultimate blend
04.gif

I thought the same thing. Truth is we will never know because conditions will never be the same. The report was good, and in the scope of things that's all that matters.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: hate2work

04.gif

I thought the same thing. Truth is we will never know because conditions will never be the same. The report was good, and in the scope of things that's all that matters.

I will be continuing my UOAs so we'll see what changes with just PP vs. the Mobil 1. Granted it will not be an exact comparison due to the various variables, but it might lend some insight as to which oil performs best in this engine under my driving conditions.

I did forget to mention that all oil changes prior were Mobil 1 5w20.

All PP in there right now and I let the car drain overnight as well as had the front end up high to get to the back of the engine to install my engie block heater so there should be as little residual as can be resonably expected on a drain. I have a significant stash of PP after I found it for $2.40/qt at Wal-Mart so this is what will be going in for probably the next 60,000 miles.

Looking forward to your next report.

I do find it interesting that you are going to use a block heater in the Mojave Desert and I don't use one on any of my cars in Wisconsin.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Looking forward to your next report.

I do find it interesting that you are going to use a block heater in the Mojave Desert and I don't use one on any of my cars in Wisconsin.

An engine block heater definitely isn't in any way necessary here but being the tinkerer that I am I've put one in both of my cars just to see how it affects everything. Starting at 100-110F instead of ~50F makes for a smoother drive, less time to get to operating temp, instant heat and possibly less fuel dilution for our vehicles that usually see no more than 3-5 miles per start with lots of time to cool off between starts. It used to be that my Civic Si had horrible cold drivability (bucking, etc.) that was attributed to the drive-by-wire throttle. This goes away ~110F so I had a solution for that with the block heater. Now that I can modify a lot of the starting parameters with my ECU tuning system and also removed the cold engine fuel injector bleed air these problems are gone so it doesn't benefit my Civic Si as much but I still plug it in anyway.

You might question whether the benefit is worth the cost of electricity, especially in Kalifornia where a kWh runs from ~12-34 cents depending on usage and heating for three hours using a timer draws about 1 kWh total. Well, I installed a solar panel system this past year and generate more electricity than I use and don't get paid anything for my excess production so the power doesn't cost me anything beyond what I paid for the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back