PP 5w20 getting very dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was checking the oil on my 03 G Caravan the other day and was surprised how dark it has already become.(3K)
I was surprised because I ran my last OCI to 11K (PP 5w30)and although the oil was dark when it was changed it wasn't super black.
Last oil was analyzed by Blackstone and they said it was "OK" and could have gone further. (Analysis is posed in applicable form)
That was the first "synthetic" oil in this engine and the first oil change since I've owned it.
This oil is already darker at 3K than the last at 11K.

Does the 5w20 darken sooner compared to 5w30?
Operating conditions are the same. (98% highway)
Or is maybe this 2nd OCI flushing out all the junk kind of like the Auto-Rx rinse phase.
I'm considering changing it because I have another 2500 mile road trip soon.
I was planning on changing it after the trip due to some repairs I'm planning to do.

What do you guys think, change it or leave it?
Engine is the durable 3.3L and has 140,000kms on it.

Was it running 5w30 PP before?

What has changed?

Considering that you don't have any problems with the engine you should be fine with another 2500 miles on PP.

The PP is a synthetic with much better cleaning agents and has more lubricity properties then dino oil, there for it is cleaning out left over deposits that was left behind from your previous oils. if you had not surpassed the service interval leave it alone.

Last edited:
Oil gets darker as it's cleaning the engine. I keep it in and change after the trip.

I had PP 5W20 in '00 MB E430 last year and the recommended is M1 0W40, PP got dark at 1k mile and became very dark at 3k miles. I left PP in the engine until after the trip to Vegas in July.

Yes this OCI is running 5w20 PP vs 5w30 PP last time.
There has also been some oil consumption this time compared to none last time.
Maybe 5w20 is a bit too thin for this engine. Its speced for 5w30 and that did thicken slightly out of grade during the 11K OCI last time

Originally Posted By: adibigs
You can not be that cheap if your using a premium oil such as PP

It's only $4 a quart.

It is not like it is Amsoil, Redline, or anything like that...

$19 a gal at Wallyworld. I stock up when in the US.
I can barely get a good dino oil at home for that.
Too cheap to drain it at 3K though.
Remind me of this in a year when I'm [censored] complaining about excessive bearing wear...

Interesting, I am getting to obsessed with this stuff, maybe I should just leave my vehicle alone its a brand new car. Had nothing but OE filters and the best shelf oils you can buy

Quaker state 5w20
Wolfs head 10w30
pp 5w20 too much $ to keep using for my driving conditions.
Been using MB clean 5000 the last couple of oc's

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
So I was checking the oil on my 03 G Caravan the other day and was surprised how dark it has already become.(3K)
I was surprised because I ran my last OCI to 11K (PP 5w30)and although the oil was dark when it was changed it wasn't super black.
Last oil was analyzed by Blackstone and they said it was "OK" and could have gone further. (Analysis is posed in applicable form)
That was the first "synthetic" oil in this engine and the first oil change since I've owned it.
This oil is already darker at 3K than the last at 11K.

Does the 5w20 darken sooner compared to 5w30?
Operating conditions are the same. (98% highway)
Or is maybe this 2nd OCI flushing out all the junk kind of like the Auto-Rx rinse phase.
I'm considering changing it because I have another 2500 mile road trip soon.
I was planning on changing it after the trip due to some repairs I'm planning to do.

What do you guys think, change it or leave it?
Engine is the durable 3.3L and has 140,000kms on it.

Take your trip and keep an eye on the oil level. Next time you change it, go back to 5W-30 that the manufacture wanted for you car. I believe 5W-20 is a little thin for your application with the miles you have.

Originally Posted By: adibigs
I never saw PP for $4 Qt. - send me 12 Qts. please

You can get 5 qts. and a Mobil1 filter at Advance for $25...

I agree with Johnny, enjoy the trip, watch the oil level. When you come back switch to PP 5W30 since a 30 grade oil is what your car calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back