PP 5W-30 Burns Oil On Toyota Engine????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Fellow BISTOG:

I have a '05 Toyota Rav4 and a '06 Toyota Camry both with the 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder engine. I've been putting PP 5W-30 for the past 3 oil changes on both Toyota. The owner's manual calls for 4 quarts of oil with filter change. However, when I drain the oil, both cars are always 1/2 quart short. Is it normal for Toyota engines to burn a little oil while running synthetic? Thanks for your help!

-ttvr4

i have 2 chevys that dont burn a drop on pennzoil after 8k with 110k and 180k respectively...a 3.1 v6 and 2.2 4 cyl..a 1/2 quart is more than one might expect but it doesnt hurt snything...my brother in law would change oil on his 4 cyl camry every 20k maybe, never check the oil, run it 2 quarts low (i know i checked) for 12k with 28 k on same oil!!! and yet car still running at 247k...but engine has been damaged even though it still runs...he puts 500 miles a week on it commuting...i dont know why your toyotas would lose 1/2 quart on synthetic...i go 8k on focuses and sunfires i have owned on synthetic and dipstick is practically same as at beginning

Is the oil low on the stick, or are you measuring the fluid drained?

Either, 1/2 quart is nothing to worry about.

Are you accounting for any waste oil remaining in the filter, perhaps not a 1/2qt but it is surprising how much will drain from it over time

Was it low on the dipstick when you checked it?
There are threads on the topic of PP burning for a few intervals.
Don't know which cars did or didn't.

None of my Toyotas (1993 Corolla, 1991 Camry, 2004 Tacoma, 2003 Matrix XRS, 2008 Scion xD) have ever burned oil, dino or syn. I just changed to PP, 5W30, (from GC) in my 1.8 2ZZ and currently have PP 5W20 in my 1.8l Scion xD.

My Tacoma isn't consuming any PP 5w20 In the past few thousand miles anyway and that includes a 1000 mile tow of 3500 pounds at 75-80 and another 2000 mike round trip to come this January with half of it also towing a trailer at high speeds through a 6k foot elevation gain. I am not worried. Yes, I will UOA this sample.

Oil is not low on the dipstick, however, when I drain the used oil, I noticed that it is always 1/2 quart short. I run PP 10w-30 on my 1998 Nissan Quest and it doesn't burn at all.

My 3.4L doesnt burn a single drop. Its seen synthetic most of its life. The only time i used conventional was when i did a autorx treament just for chits and giggles.

when changed to synthetic 5w-30 ( MOBIL 1 , PENNZOIL Platinum ) for 2000 PRIZM ( Corolla ) at 70,000 plus miles it started to burn oil . When went back to regular PENNZOIL 5w-30 it almost stopped . Changed the P.C.V. valve as well during the use of synthetic to no avail . So , if have a high mileage engine might want to think it over before use . Especially TOYOTA engines . Why is beyond me . V.V.T.I. ?

Last edited:
we're using synthetic for both '08 YARIS sedan and Liftback since 1,500 miles and haven't burned a drop . This was the same for the '07 PRIUS we had as well . Does make motors quiter , especially highway speeds . All 3 have seen PLATINUM , SYNPOWER , and SHELL Full synthetic ( now in use ) in a 5w-30 . Did use PLATINUM 5w-20 for a short period in both YARII , no consuption . Then went back to SHELL Full sythetic 5w-30 . Got nervous about the WARRANTY when using 5w-20 :) .

(As posted in another thread)

My 2005 Corolla uses about 1/4 quart of oil every 4k if it is conventional and about 3/4 of a quart if syn in the same miles.

I've got 123k and no issues. Never been back to the dealer for anything, gets mid 40's MPG, never seen the check engine light.

No worries. There is a TSB from Toyota that high RPM usage the engine does use a little oil.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: ttvr4
Oil is not low on the dipstick, however, when I drain the used oil, I noticed that it is always 1/2 quart short. I run PP 10w-30 on my 1998 Nissan Quest and it doesn't burn at all.

So, prior to an oil change, it appears as though the oil reads full on the dipstick, correct?

I run PP 5W30 in my wife's RX330 and it doesn't use a drop in a 5K oil change. But, I simply check the dipstick prior to an oil change, I don't measure out the drained oil.

Originally Posted By: ttvr4

That thing isn't using much if any oil! Your filter media is going to hold 1/4-1/2 quart by itself.

Besides, 1/2 quart over an oil change (5000 miles?) is nothing to worry about. Well within spec, that little bit of usage (if there is indeed any) might even be able to be partially attributed to loss through the PCV system.

Last edited:
My mom's Sienna seems to do fine on PP 5-30 and 5-20. I'm noticing no unusual oil usage in my 227K Lexus V8 on PP, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back