PP 5W-30, 3002 miles, 1989 CRX, 267k mile engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Your Honda is wearing very nicely at 267,682 miles. We think your short oil runs have been key to the low wear that your engine is producing. Our universal averates show typical wear from the 1.5L after a run of approx 5,000 miles. You could easily be running your oil that long, but we see no reason to mess with the good thing that you've got going on, either. The oil itself was in good shape physically and was free of any fuel dilution, water, or anti-freeze contamination. The Pennzoil seems to agree with your engine."

Miles on oil: 3002
Miles on engine: 267,682
Time on oil: Nov 08 to May 09

This return / Universal Average
Aluminum...2/2
Chromium...0/1
Iron...7/7
Copper...2/3
Lead...2/4
Tin...1/1
Moly...48/66
Nickel...0/0
Manganese...0/0
Silver...0/0
Titanium...0/0
Potassium...1/4
Boron...14/45
Silicon...3/8
Sodium...63/17
Calcium...2450/2160
Magnesium...9/118
Phosphorus...715/721
Zinc...866/857
Barium...0/0

This return / Should be...
SUS Visc @ 212*F...60.9/56-63
cST Visc @100*C...10.47/9.1-11.3
Flashpoint...400/>365
Fuel%... Antifreeze%...0.0/0.0
Water%...0.0/ Insolubles%...0.3/

Fourth or fifth run of PP 5w-30. I'm happy with the results. I'm happy with the car. It was cheap and it gets 40mpg every tank. What more is there to ask?

Still, I have a run of GTX 5w-20 in it now. Gotta see what the difference will be. Spools up a little quicker, engine has a little more noise. Car seems not to mind at this time. Can't tell on any improved mpgs yet, haven't filled up. The extra revs I've been doing would probably negate any inherant mpg increase from a lower visc oil.

Thanks for stopping by...

Last edited:
Waste of money/oil. PP can go 10k easily on a car that isn't super-hard on oil. At 267k total miles, you shouldn't be concerned about excessive wear...

But, I agree, CRX's are very nice little cars that are both sporty and frugal at the same time. Hard to find one that hasn't been abused....

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
"Your Honda is wearing very nicely at 267,682 miles. We think your short oil runs have been key to the low wear that your engine is producing. Our universal averates show typical wear from the 1.5L after a run of approx 5,000 miles. You could easily be running your oil that long, but we see no reason to mess with the good thing that you've got going on, either. The oil itself was in good shape physically and was free of any fuel dilution, water, or anti-freeze contamination. The Pennzoil seems to agree with your engine."

Miles on oil: 3002
Miles on engine: 267,682
Time on oil: Nov 08 to May 09

This return / Universal Average
Aluminum...2/2
Chromium...0/1
Iron...7/7
Copper...2/3
Lead...2/4
Tin...1/1
Moly...48/66
Nickel...0/0
Manganese...0/0
Silver...0/0
Titanium...0/0
Potassium...1/4
Boron...14/45
Silicon...3/8
Sodium...63/17
Calcium...2450/2160
Magnesium...9/118
Phosphorus...715/721
Zinc...866/857
Barium...0/0

This return / Should be...
SUS Visc @ 212*F...60.9/56-63
cST Visc @100*C...10.47/9.1-11.3
Flashpoint...400/>365
Fuel%... Antifreeze%...0.0/0.0
Water%...0.0/ Insolubles%...0.3/

Fourth or fifth run of PP 5w-30. I'm happy with the results. I'm happy with the car. It was cheap and it gets 40mpg every tank. What more is there to ask?

Still, I have a run of GTX 5w-20 in it now. Gotta see what the difference will be. Spools up a little quicker, engine has a little more noise. Car seems not to mind at this time. Can't tell on any improved mpgs yet, haven't filled up. The extra revs I've been doing would probably negate any inherant mpg increase from a lower visc oil.

Thanks for stopping by...
Did an oil analysis for one of my customers with a 90 Civic with the 1.5L engine. Best bang for the buck was plain old black-bottle Havoline. It was running 7000K intervals with great wear numbers and the engine was spotless inside. The Pennzoil would probably do even better if getting more from your oil life was important to you. If not, keep doing what you are doing. It works.

Addyguy, I don't see it's a waste of money since getting the absolute most miles out of my oil is not my sport. It is for some, but not for me. This is the first UOA, I have three vehicles and don't get that many miles each per year, and 3k is enough to get the idea of what this motor is up to. What's a couple of bucks for an early oil change? I also wanted to get a baseline before I tried the 5w-20 I had in mind. I figured it must be wearing pretty good after still being spry after all those miles.

I got it for $875, have no more than $2k in it after all kinds of general maintenance plus a fix-the-rust-and-paint it detail, and it still has paid for all expenditures and more after way less than a year. It's all gravy now...

Fair enough. If it's a 'hobby change' for a vehicle that doesn't get driven much, then I understand. I just thought you might be one of those people that thought PP would only survive 3k, and you have to check it before it might go 5k....etc...

Sounds like a cheap, fun car!

It truly is a fun car. I used it for body and paint practice before I tackle fixing the Camaro. Some lady tried to make an extra lane to get around me but pulled back in before she was past. I'll need to replace the front cover, the right front fender, and repaint the hood. In black.

It's a good thing I practiced, too, since the change from thick/heavy epoxy primer and thick heavy sanding primer to water-thin color and clear really threw me for a loop. Runs galore.

I'm getting a little perterbed reading these blackstone comments. 3k oci is key to his low wear?
spankme2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back