PP 10w-30 d1g2 OCI rcommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got ~4500 miles on this oil change, about 3 months worth from a cross country sight seeing journey. Mostly 2k rpm 10 hours a day. Very little short trip drivig before and since

Not yet 1 full quart of make up oil, which was PP 5w-30 SN d1g2. 5 quart sump capacity, FU XG8A filter.

Rebuilt LA 318 engine with ~50k miles on it.

Oil color means little, but it is fairly dark brown. Engine is clean, M1 oils for the last 10+ years. This oil made my engine significantly quieter than m1 oils.

Oil pressure hot at same rpm is same as at mile 25 of this oci.

Have the 2500+ mile return journey soon along I-10. I think this oil should be fine in this engine for 7500 miles.

I am not sending off a sample to be tested as it would cost more than simply dumping it and I would not get results before leaving anyway.

How long can PP 10w-30 be pushed in such an engine in mostly highway driving mileage?

Opinions?

What is your mpg?

Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
I've got ~4500 miles on this oil change, about 3 months worth from a cross country sight seeing journey. Mostly 2k rpm 10 hours a day. Very little short trip drivig before and since

Not yet 1 full quart of make up oil, which was PP 5w-30 SN d1g2. 5 quart sump capacity, FU XG8A filter.

Oil color means little, but it is fairly dark brown. Engine is clean, M1 oils for the last 10+ years. This oil made my engine significantly quieter than m1 oils.

Have the 2500+ mile return journey soon along I-10. I think this oil should be fine in this engine for 7500 miles.

I am not sending off a sample to be tested as it would cost more than simply dumping it and I would not get results before leaving anyway.

How long can PP 10w-30 be pushed in such an engine in mostly highway driving mileage?

Opinions?

Opinions?

Opinions?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I didn't know a 10w30 could be Dexos approved.. Interesting.

It can't...that's the funny part of this rant.

I've had both PP 5Wx30 and 10Wx30 only the 5Wx30 says d1g2 on the jug.
Op is probably thinking that10Wx30 is dexos since his 5Wx30 is dexos.
Anyways that's what happened to me then I found out 10Wx30 is not resource conserving ... and it can't ? be dexos or they don't pay the $ to get the dexos stamp or something like that.

Try the olm calculator recently posted. Also check the OM. Add the two and divide by 2. lol
I personally don't like very dark brown. You are @ fairly dark brown
grin2.gif
so I would wait another 1500 miles!

Edit:
I see you have a 2500 miles trip...
Change it if you love the car (purely based on color & not scientific) but it should survive till you get back!

Last edited:
Assuming a healthy engine with well controlled oil/water temperatures, 2000rpm 10 hours a day is probably equivalent to my one day (morning/night 15 miles each way, lunch ~3-5 miles each way). That big V8's is very lightly stressed at this rate.

If you are doing a lot of highway driving, you can go by operating hours rather than miles. 300-350 hours would be a very conservative/safe bet

Sorry about the Dexos G2 stuff, I got that confused with SN vs SN plus.

In the Flatlands I was getting about 16.5mpg average
About 15.7 mpg average through the Rockies
Did the 23 mile Titus canyon trail into Death Valley where I was in first gear most of the time using the full suspension range and making use of the AT tires. That tankful through and around DV averaged 13.98mpg.

Mpg's as expected with this vehicle.( conversion van with raised fiberglass roof carrying passengers and other weighty items)

Coolant temps reading normal the whole time via dash gauge, and via K type thermocouple thermo epoxied to t stat housing.
Oil pressure on mechanical gauge reads 42PSi at 1950rpm hot @65mph, maxes out at 68psi cold, 62PSI when hot above 2400 rpm, but I rarely go above 2400 rpm. Will go as high as 3K rpm at 65mph climbing hills in third. OD off.

Oil pressure hot idle reads 22psi at 525 rpm, higher than M1 0w-40 which would be 18psi afer 13 months and sub 2K miles.

Last edited:
23 miles, death valley , 1st gear , I assume hot ...
shocked2.gif
+ fairly dark brown oil ...
I changed my mind, I would change the oil
lol.gif

Well it was November, morning, and one is going downhill from ~5500' elevation to just below Sea level, from about mile 10 on this one way trail.
Outside temps for most of it were in the 60's and low 80's valley floor.

I place little weight on oil color, especially when switching brands of oil, which I did.

I'd leave it easily. You're making your own case, highway cruising, quiet running, stable hot viscosity @ 525rpm vs the golden child at less than half the miles... don't discount what you have in the crankcase there, that's good stuff.

Sounds like you know how to drive it very well — not lugging the engine going uphill, and engine brake downhill. I wouldn't worry about it at all at this point. 10w30 is the better choice for this drive than 5w30 also, mainly due to the lower evaporative volatility. You are doing very well.

2.5 months later.......

The return X counrty trip was delayed, and 1500 more miles were accumulated on this oil just driving around Florida, mostly Highway but some stop and go traffic and around town short trip stuff thrown in.

I overfilled the oil slightly when topping up at one point as I was parked on a weird angle, and figured no big deal.

But some 3500 miles later, after the slight overfill, after returning to the West coast, it is still slightly overfilled, gone down maybee 2mm on the dipstick in 3500 miles. It has never in my ownership used so little oil.

It is as if the oil consumption has slowed by a factor of 2 or 3 with about 5000 miles on the oil change and I am close to 8500 on it.

It does not smell of fuel, and the transmission Fluid level has not changed and I am up close to 8K miles on this oil change interval.

Still nice and quiet but occassionally on overnight cold startup a lifter ticks for a second or two before becoming silent.
Oil PSI is the same at the same rpms and temps, but gains 2 or 3 PSI in cold ambinet temps at highway speeds.

Oil is same color as 3500 miles ago. Likely going to run some regane FSC, then drop it soon, leave the XG8A filter on and get another jug of PPPP's 10w-30sn+ seemingly magic elixer. My quart bottle of 10w-30 make up oil is still above 3/4 and not been touched since the slight overfill 3500 miles ago. Not going to be able to recycle that new 5q jug of 10w-30 for a while, unless I change the filter too, as that makes 5 quarts exactly.

Drained the 10w-30 the other day for a few hours, and installed some PPPP 10w-30HM bottled just a month ago. Left the FU XG8A on for another go. Very little ferrous sludge on magnetic drain plug. I've never NOT changed the filter before, the easy is got so much easier not bothering with a new filter.

How closely is Flashpoint related to Noack? I saw the other thread saying tHe PPPP 10w-30 Noack was impressive, if related then the Hm Noack would have to be even more so....no?

The HM version's flashpoint is 231C vs 210C for non HM. Seems to be a pretty big difference.

The level of PPPP 10w-30 seemed to stop dropping entirely 5K miles into the ~8500 mile OCI. Never before has this engine consumed so little oil.

Questioning the HM purchase decision, but it is just as buttery smooth and quiet, perhaps even a bit more quiet. WM was out of P4 non HM 10w-30 when I was there but I might have chosen the HM version anyway.

Overall the HM version appears thicker according to specs.

-----------------PPPP PPPPHM 10w-30
40C------------60.5---------65.1
100C----------10.1---------10.6

VI --------------154---------152

Where does that fall within the 30 weight range?

Wonder how much difference a VOA would show in detergents and AW FM adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back