PP 0W20 vs Castrol 0W20 vs M1 AFE 0W20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on 2k miles on the Civic 1.5T and I think I'm going to dump the FF.

Out of the 3 listed in the title. I'm leaning to either the PP or M1 AFE.......for no particular reason I guess. The PP and Castrol marketing states for Turbos on the front of the bottle.

Filter will either be a Fram Ultra, Wix or a Mobil 1.

Is it more like a flip of the coin for either of these oils for the 1.5 Turbo GDI?

I suppose QS Synthetic could be included in the mix as well although I think I recall seeing some horrible fuel dilution numbers over on one of the Civic forums in regards to QS

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I suppose QS Synthetic could be included in the mix as well although I think I recall seeing some horrible fuel dilution numbers over on one of the Civic forums in regards to QS

Fuel dilution should be a function of the engine function (A/F, ring blow-by, PVC system effectiveness), not the oil in the sump.

All sound like fine choices. I lean (i.e. my name) toward the SOPUS products. But honestly your engine will never know the difference between any of these oils. Happy motoring!

BTW, I thought Honda was one of the OEM's that didn't recommend changing factory fill early?

Last edited:
All those oils you list are great and will work fine and they have done so in many vehicles

I think you should run the FF a while longer however. You have a clean engine and relatively new oil filter on it

That FF should be good out to 5k miles or so.

All three are can be had as D1G2 SN Plus, so pick the one with the best price and rebate or pick your favorite color. I like yellow.
laugh.gif

Any major brand that meets the specs will run fine in your Honda. Look for a dexos 1 Gen 2 oil and also SN +.

Depending on your driving habits, 5k oci May be the prudent way to go here.

I have been doing 10K OCIs with M1 0-20AFE and EP. I have put some 460K on this oil in my last 3 vehicles with outstanding results. My son now has 70K on his GMC Denali, and a friend has 110K on his 2014 Silverado, both using M1 0-20 at 10-14 K OCIs.

Of the three, I have a slight preference towards Castrol with its titanium add pack, but pick the cheapest one you can find of the three and go with it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Of the three, I have a slight preference towards Castrol with its titanium add pack, but pick the cheapest one you can find of the three and go with it.

What is your experience with Castrol 0-20?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

Fuel dilution should be a function of the engine function (A/F, ring blow-by, PVC system effectiveness), not the oil in the sump.
Yes indeed I wonder the though processes.

Originally Posted By: tig1

The advertising says it is has 30% less what ever.No that is Pennzoil. or maybe Valvoline. I like the jugs best.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I am speaking in generalities here. I am have used all three brands and have no hard line preference towards any of them, though I know that you do. To directly answer, I have no experience with Castrol 0W-20, but new experience with 0W-40.

On my 2015 f 150 2.7 I have run Pennzoil, Castrol, M1 high mile and Valvoline syn with maxlife and my well calibrated butt dino would pick the Valvoline with Max life tech or the Castrol Magnetec, which means nothing! Run all 3 oils then chime back.

I've tried them all years ago and M1EP recently (2 years ago?) Valvoline Synpower 0w20 was by a good margin better than all in the Subaru and great in the Honda. Reduce or eliminate chain tensioner sticking , lowest visible Varnish on the VVT, Engine noise, Fuel mileage. EP was a bit noisier but performed well. I think it gave the impression of producing the most power, but I wouldnt know except from the passenger seat in the now traded Forester.

Today I would likely try Valvoline again.

eenie meenie miney mo

Really any of them will work just fine. Just look for dexos1Gen2 or SN Plus on 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back