PP 0w20, 4327 miles, 2012 Mazda 3 Sky-G 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did my third oil change on my 2012 Mazda 3 i GT on 5/10/13. Got the UOA results back today. The car had 11228 miles when I changed the oil and the PP 0w20 oil had 4327 miles (6 months) on it. Looks like I didn't have the fuel dilution problem this time
smile.gif
. I've been driving more highway miles (probably around 80% city / 20% highway now) so I think that helped. I put the new Mazda GF-5 0w20 w/ Moly oil in this time... we'll see how that goes.

Here is the UOA result:

Comments:
DEREK: Aluminum from pistons came up a bit, but not enough to show a problem. It could be some
lingering wear-in material that's working its way out of the engine, so we'll probably see some improvements
next time. Tin and silicon dropped nicely into the average range, so your engine is on its way to comparing
well with averages. We only found a trace of fuel this time and the viscosity was on target for a 0W/20-grade
oil. Insolubles were okay at 0.5%, so the oil filter got the job done. The TBN read 3.2, so try running up to
5,500 miles next and check back.

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 4,327 3,366

MI/HR on Unit 11,228 6,901

Sample Date 05/10/13 11/10/12

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts 0 qts

ALUMINUM 9 7

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 19 12

COPPER 5 10

LEAD 0 0

TIN 2 6

MOLYBDENUM 69 180

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 0

BORON 11 72

SILICON 14 20

SODIUM 3 0

CALCIUM 2236 1121

MAGNESIUM 78 678

PHOSPHORUS 690 591

ZINC 828 733

BARIUM 1 2

SUS VIS @ 210° F 48.9 45.2

cSt VIS @ 100° C 6.92 5.80

Flashpoint °F 385 335

Fuel % TR 2.5

Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.5 0.3

TBN 3.2 3.5

Last edited:
The viscosity and flash point scream severe fuel dilution despite the "tr" blackstone gave it. Looks like the engine doesn't seem to care, though. Good looking wear rates so far.

Just for comparison, that 100C viscosity should be closer to 8.5, I think, without the fuel dilution.

Last edited:
I don't have enough data on this engine to really know what "normal" deviation is. The Al and Fe look a bit high as a gut feeling, but not enough to warrant an OCI. I would agree that the fuel is probably higher than Blackstone suggests, and that is causing wash down of the piston/cylinder relationship.

If "normal" OCIs are your plan, and they likely are especially with a newer model warranty, then I'd ditch the PU and just get a decent dino lube. You're wasting money big time. Any decent brand should be able to go up to the OEM OCI.

If that waste is of no consequence to you, so be it. There is nothing wrong with emotional attachments to lubes. You would not be in the minority here at BITOG as such; the only unique question would be if you can openly admit it ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I don't have enough data on this engine to really know what "normal" deviation is. The Al and Fe look a bit high as a gut feeling, but not enough to warrant an OCI. I would agree that the fuel is probably higher than Blackstone suggests, and that is causing wash down of the piston/cylinder relationship.

If "normal" OCIs are your plan, and they likely are especially with a newer model warranty, then I'd ditch the PU and just get a decent dino lube. You're wasting money big time. Any decent brand should be able to go up to the OEM OCI.

If that waste is of no consequence to you, so be it. There is nothing wrong with emotional attachments to lubes. You would not be in the minority here at BITOG as such; the only unique question would be if you can openly admit it ...

That was PP not PU. Yeah normal OCIs are my plan right now since I am under warranty. I'm sticking with synthetic oil since that's what Mazda recommends for this engine. PP is actually pretty cheap at Walmart, but I decided to try the Mazda oil this time.

Derek

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back