Powerstroke 6.7: Motorcraft 2051s vs Wix/Napa 7151

Here’s a motorcraft 2051s and a NAPA Gold/Wix 7151 cut open.

The filter media on the Napa/wix is slightly narrower but both are equal length. The Napa is wire backed synthetic media. I had to use a grinder to separate it. I was able to pull the motorcraft paper out by hand. I know which one I’m going to be picking.

Also, the NAPA has a better beta ratio than the motorcraft.

Attachments

• 3EA2E82B-E8C2-4411-A614-B8F11648DCD1.jpeg
    3EA2E82B-E8C2-4411-A614-B8F11648DCD1.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 357
  • 8BBAE104-E720-4041-ABFF-6ED37852B966.jpeg
    8BBAE104-E720-4041-ABFF-6ED37852B966.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 7D9353E2-5BFF-4F86-8326-E51CDDDF08BC.jpeg
    7D9353E2-5BFF-4F86-8326-E51CDDDF08BC.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 355
Is the Motorcraft made by Racor still or did they change suppliers? I know the Donaldson P502503 for 6.7 Powerstroke is a solid choice as well being 15 micron @ 99% efficiency

Is the Motorcraft made by Racor still or did they change suppliers? I know the Donaldson P502503 for 6.7 Powerstroke is a solid choice as well being 15 micron @ 99% efficiency
It is now made by purolator. I was going to run the Donaldson but prefer made in USA. Donaldson is made in Mexico.

That NAPA Gold media looks like a Platinum media. As far as this filter goes, it looks like the Motorcraft isn't in the same league as Wix.

That NAPA Gold media looks like a Platinum media. As far as this filter goes, it looks like the Motorcraft isn't in the same league as Wagreed.
Agreed.

I made a similar point looking at the media. To my eye media construction looks identical to XP/Platinum. As noted though, beta comparison for the topic vs XP/Plat listed betas, not in the same ball park. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here’s a motorcraft 2051s and a NAPA Gold/Wix 7151 cut open.

The filter media on the Napa/wix is slightly narrower but both are equal length. The Napa is wire backed synthetic media. I had to use a grinder to separate it. I was able to pull the motorcraft paper out by hand. I know which one I’m going to be picking.

Also, the NAPA has a better beta ratio than the motorcraft.
Looks a lot like the Donaldson P16907 in construction, minus the silicone ADBV:
DonaldsonP169071-01.jpg

Baseplate central thread boss design and number of inlet holes on the Donaldson looks different to me than the Wix site information of the topic filter. The OPs pic of 57151 on newer version HERE shows same baseplate pictured below, but with nitrile adbv.

screen-shot-2022-01-26-at-6-11-48-pm-jpg.86243

Last edited:
Baseplate central thread boss design and number of inlet holes on the Donaldson looks different to me than the Wix site information of the topic filter. The OPs pic of 57151 on newer version HERE shows same baseplate pictured below, but with nitrile adbv.

screen-shot-2022-01-26-at-6-11-48-pm-jpg.86243

Yes, though they are significantly different applications, the Donaldson is an FL-1A equivalent.

I did however do the cross reference and the Donaldson unit looks different:
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 4.08.22 PM.jpg

But it is 99% at 15 micron, synthetic media. I I wonder if they were providing the original media and WIX was just putting it in their can?

....I wonder if they were providing the original media and WIX was just putting it in their can?
I wouldn't doubt that at all. In the more recent thread, though I didn't name Donaldson specifically, left open that someone else could be supplying the media for topic application. I'm not aware of any microglass/synthetic media made by Wix with that efficiency.

Yes, though they are significantly different applications, the Donaldson is an FL-1A equivalent.

I did however do the cross reference and the Donaldson unit looks different:
View attachment 86367

But it is 99% at 15 micron, synthetic media. I I wonder if they were providing the original media and WIX was just putting it in their can?
If WIX was making their own full synthetic media that was 99% @ 15u then they should have been putting it in their XP and the NAPA Platinum ... could have been stout competition for the Ultra. :D

I wouldn't doubt that at all. In the more recent thread, though I didn't name Donaldson specifically, left open that someone else could be supplying the media for topic application. I'm not aware of any microglass/synthetic media made by Wix with that efficiency.
Yeah, I can only think of Fleetguard and Donaldson off the top of my head :)

The Wix/NG 6.7L PSD filter is one of the most impressive FF filters in terms of efficiency I've seen for a long time. When this filter came out, it blew most anything else away, and years later it's still a premium choice IMO.
50% at 3um
95% at 12um
98.67% at 17um.
Makes many others look weak by comarison.

The Wix/NG 6.7L PSD filter is one of the most impressive FF filters in terms of efficiency I've seen for a long time. When this filter came out, it blew most anything else away, and years later it's still a premium choice IMO.
50% at 3um
95% at 12um
98.67% at 17um.
Makes many others look weak by comarison.
I’ve been running it for years because of the efficiency. I doubt it meets those specs anymore.

Back