powersports oil in car engine

I ask this question strictly out of curiosity. What is it exactly that makes it not good to run powersports oil in a car. I own two Volkswagen jettas one is a 2015 1.8 turbo (wifes) and the other is a 2016 2.0 turbo. Both are gas engines and call for 5-40 Castrol. The oil Im wondering about is Can Am XPS full syn 5-40. My question is why is this oil good enough for a 3 cylinder turbocharged X3 making nearly 200hp around 8000 RPM, but is not good enough for a street driven car that rarely goes over 3000 rpm in a normal drive to work.

Im honestly wondering what do you think would happen to the car motor if I did an oil change using the full syn XPS. What do you guys think would happen? Same weight oil, both full syns, both turbo engines, both have catalytic converters.

Probably nothing. If the picture I'm looking at is correct. They have labeled it 'Meets API SM'. Only thing you'll likely be missing is the cash in your wallet. Back when I owned a bike I remember using nothing but Motul until I realized I was probably paying for the name and switched to various auto oils. Never had a problem out of either of them and I suspect you wouldn't either going the other way.

That being said, I'm sure there are some 'motorsports' oils that have been designed for different environments. Wet clutches, shared sumps, etc. So they might have ingredients you don't need, but I doubt they'd do any harm.

I would be a little more cautious if your cars call for a special certification though. IE certain VW/Audi TDI Engines that like to eat the fuel pump lobe off the camshaft, if I recall correctly.

I work at a large can am dealer. I do a lot of services and I accumulate a lot of extra oil ;) So cost would be nothing. Ill dump the quarts of oil in and then tip the bottles over in a funnel I made and collect what would have been thrown away. Get about half a quart a day. Plenty to service two cars every 5K

I ask this question strictly out of curiosity. What is it exactly that makes it not good to run powersports oil in a car. I own two Volkswagen jettas one is a 2015 1.8 turbo (wifes) and the other is a 2016 2.0 turbo. Both are gas engines and call for 5-40 Castrol. The oil Im wondering about is Can Am XPS full syn 5-40. My question is why is this oil good enough for a 3 cylinder turbocharged X3 making nearly 200hp around 8000 RPM, but is not good enough for a street driven car that rarely goes over 3000 rpm in a normal drive to work.

Im honestly wondering what do you think would happen to the car motor if I did an oil change using the full syn XPS. What do you guys think would happen? Same weight oil, both full syns, both turbo engines, both have catalytic converters.
IDK, maybe this:

Use VW approved oils. VW does not care whether your oil is Castrol or not. They care that it is VW502.00. You can get in Wal Mart Castrol Edge 0W40, 5W40, 5W30 (all carry VW502.00. 5W30 is called Edge A3/B4), Mobil1 0W40, Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle. In AAP you have Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Numerous cheap options.

IDK, maybe this:

Use VW approved oils. VW does not care whether your oil is Castrol or not. They care that it is VW502.00. You can get in Wal Mart Castrol Edge 0W40, 5W40, 5W30 (all carry VW502.00. 5W30 is called Edge A3/B4), Mobil1 0W40, Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle. In AAP you have Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Numerous cheap options.

If it isn't VW502 they'll be clueless!

You have two relatively new vehicles and are considering not only use unapproved oil, but oil that isn't even made for cars, to save maybe $100 a year? Come on now.

As long as the motorcycle oil meets the oil requirements/specifications called for in your car's owner's manual, it should be fine.
Personally, I wouldn't do it because motorcycle specific oil generally cost more passenger car oil. But, if you need to top off and that is all you have, then why not?

Would probably be just fine depending on the OCI.
A 5k interval would probably be no issue whatsoever.
If the vehicles had a warranty I would not, but they are out of warranty so why not.

Wish you were close by, I could use some of that stuff for sure. ~2 qts a week will get you quite a stash in a short time for sure. Maybe I need to go check the dumpster by some local motorcycle shops.

Back