Powering Alcatraz

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were in SF, we made the obligatory trip to Alcatraz.

I was rather cynical with the solar and wind on the ferries, but they never really went into detail on what is done on the island, which is really quite clever.

http://energyefficiencymarkets.com/alcatraz-microgrid-life-rock-easy-even-microgrid/

A little different in the schemes that I've seen locally, in that most run power to the batteries, and draw off the batteries.

This runs operational stuff off the panels, then charges the batteries on the surplus.

Thanks for sharing that. It's good to see that they can work solar technology into historic structures.

Interesting.

My wife has been there (as a visitor
shocked.gif
) since her cousin was a guide with the Park Service.

I sailed up from San Diego one time and we went around the Island but never toured it.

The text could have used a bit of proofreading:

Quote:
A master controller monitors the system to create maxi[mum]mize solar use and [to] minimize the use of diesel generators. If the master control system ever becomes damaged, each of the eight inverters in the system can operate autonomously.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Thanks for sharing that. It's good to see that they can work solar technology into historic structures.

I was actually shocked when I read the article, as I was unaware of it, and it was certainly very very inconspicuous...I didn't pick up on it at all while there.

Pity the buildings are crumbling 'though.

Sounds like pretty standard micro grid stuff to me. We make stuff like this all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back