Power Window Switch Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got tired of wiggling the switches in my 325ic to the point where maybe I got contact. With new switches 4000 miles and many $$$$$ away, I figure I'd attack the problem.

In the end, each switch is about a 15 minute job to clean and rebuild.
Popping the switch apart, you find a few simple parts.

page48-1000-full.jpg

Pulling the buttons out you have the contacts that need cleaning
page48-1001-full.jpg

and sometimes a little straightening

page48-1003-full.jpg

Clean-up with fine sandpaper

page48-1004-full.jpg

A little conductive grease I had picked up at Home Depot

page48-1005-full.jpg

And it is ready for reassembly. Windows zip down and up with much better speed and ease.

A few more pics and comments here:

http://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Window.html

Good job ! Most shops/dealers just take an easy way to fix the problem by changing out the old switch with a new one at great expense to owner.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Most of todays "machanics" are really just parts changers.

That's because the labor charge of fixing the old one would exceed that of buying a new one.

Been there - done that, with many electrical problems. A common theme is relays that need their contacts cleaned after a while. My Mercedes has LOTS of relays. One clue is when electrical operation is intermittent.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Good job ! Most shops/dealers just take an easy way to fix the problem by changing out the old switch with a new one at great expense to owner.

I don't think you want one of our electrical techs cleaning a switch for $110 an hour. Same reason why you never see shops rebuild a master cylinder or a brake caliper. BTW we are one of the cheaper dealers in our town as far as labor rate goes.

You did notice that OP lives in Bolivia? I suspect they fix lot more stuff. We tend to replace them.

Last edited:
Even at $110 an hour, 15 min is less than the $40 + tax and shipping that the new switch costs.

And yes, we fix a lot more here.

Take a look at my Corvair site......

here is the Spare tire support I just made for my Corvair. It's first life was a motorcycle shock absorber, two bolts and a nut.
page49-1000-full.jpg

After a little welding, grinding and chroming, here it is
page49-1005-full.jpg

page49-1007-full.jpg

More details of that on my site too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back