power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Hopefully it was the right fluid you added. Make sure you didn't add GM type PS fluid when most cars now take Dextron ATF

brianl703:
It was about 1cm low on the dip stick.

Al:
I used Valvoline synpower steering fluid. The manual calls for GM powersteering fluid part #1050017 or equivalent. The valvoline sypower states it meets GM requirements for that part #. The 2002 gm sonoma uses power steering fluid and not ATF.

It would have been nice if it did use ATF, I have half a quart of it at home, but instead I had to do a wallmart run at 2 am.

Duuuuhhh..to me. Sorry I forgot (didn't know) the Sonoma was GM
dunno.gif

^^
ya I should have specified. I ended up emptying the resivour with a turkey baster (it probably was a waste of $1.05, but I did it anyways). I managed to pull out about 210 ml and am trying to figure out how much is fresh PSF.

I cant find this info anywhere online.

My 2002 sonoma has been making a moaning sound from the steering wheel when I go around corners, mainly at low speeds. Last night I checked the fluid level and was a little low, although I have noticed no leaking. So I topped it off with power steering fluid and the steering wheel is still moaning.

The noise is coming from inside the cab from the steering wheel not from the engince area. Should I be worried?

Thanks.

How low was the fluid? If it was too low you may have gotten air into the system which could be causing the moaning noise.

The fix for that is to jack the front of the vehicle up, start the engine, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock about 20 times. At least this is how Ford recommends doing it, probably works for any make/model...

Perform a number of turkey baster 'flushes', after driving a little.
You will quickly approach a full flush.
Then see how it acts.

mechtech: Perform a number of turkey baster 'flushes', after driving a little.
You will quickly approach a full flush.

About how often should I do this. Once a week? or do it at each oil change.

Thanks

Why don't you use Auto-Rx? Another thing that works great, is putting in 1-2 oz of Militec. This would fix the moaning within 1-2 hours of driving. Info about Militec can be found at www.militec.com Militec is also great to use in your tranny and engine, as well as in guns. It does not affect the oil, but the metal-surface gets 16 times stiffer(but not harder). You can compare it with pumping up an underinflated tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back