Power Steering Whining on 96 Chrysler Mini Van ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok we changed a hose on a 97 Chrysler mini van and filled the power steering up with max life power steering fluid and now it whines loudly when turning the wheel.

This is the second one it also happened on a 96 that the trans lines had to be replaced due to rust and that is still whining today.

Are there power steering fluid filters on these vans? Its strange it happened to two almost exact vehicles.

and you're sure they spec PSF for those vehicles? lots of Chrysler's spec atf+4 for the power steering as well as the trans...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
and you're sure they spec PSF for those vehicles? lots of Chrysler's spec atf+4 for the power steering as well as the trans...

+1 on the ATF+4

Caravans of that vintage use PSF not ATF so, you're ok there. You must have some air in the system still. I find that no matter how careful you are when refilling and bleeding, some vehicles take longer to quiet down. I don't think they had filters on yours. HTH.

Last edited:
My memory isn't so good but I think there is a filter/screen in the bottom of the fluid reservoir that is known to cause this problem. I believe the fix is an aftermarket replacement screen.

I've had two gen 4's. they are both particular about fluids for whining, foaming, and "shudder" in the wheel. One really did better with PSF. The other prefers ATF+4. one was a 2001, this one is an 03.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
My memory isn't so good but I think there is a filter/screen in the bottom of the fluid reservoir that is known to cause this problem. I believe the fix is an aftermarket replacement screen.

This applies to the generation after the one which is being described in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back